2015; Plug-Ins & Electric Cars, the fastest growing segment - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2017, 01:08 PM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain View Post
With off-the-shelf Teslas clocking 2.1 second, 0-60mph times, Super Cars are becoming irrelevant...
When I was 17, working in a factory, one of my same-age co-workers told me the reason Ferraris handle so great is because of the tires. He really believed that. In my mind, I pictured a VW Beetle with Ferrari tires, still being just a VW Beetle, though with better tires -- wallowing around corners, swaying around pylons.

The same applies to reducing an entire car down to 0-60 mph times. Or horsepower. Or RPM. If that's where your mind is at, then by all means, save a ton of dough and get the best 0-60 mph times at the lowest price tag, and you're the winner!

Personally, I'd choose a Porsche 911 Carrera 4 convertible, with a meagre 370 hp and 0-62 mph (0-100 kph) times of 4.5 sec. I guess I'm a sucker in your eyes. I'm okay with that. I'm also okay with you loving Teslas. To me, a car is much more than 0-60 mph times. But that's just me.

2015 Audi Q5 "Progressiv" + S-Line + Scuba Blue, 3.0L V6 TDI
(Highest fuel economy for all Audi Q5s on Fuelly!)

SteveMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #22
Registered Member

EV's and ICE cars shouldn't really be compared, they look and feel like similar products, but the electric motor isn't an engine, so will have many benefits over an ICE. They're about 300% more energy efficient, have less moving parts so are far more reliable, are quick and easy to rebuild and install, cheap to manufacture and that's before you even talk about max torque at 0 RPM, zero emissions, quietness etc. Not bad for something the size of the bucket you use to wash your car.

Tesla as a car maker aren't that great as you know, early days, poor build quality, reliability issues, they've lots to learn. But I'm sure if the same drive train were available in an Audi, or Porsche, you would admire the EV more

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:25 PM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMak View Post
To me, a car is much more than 0-60 mph times. But that's just me.
For me, handling is more important than 0 - 60 mph times or top speed. How often are you in a hurry to go from 0 to 60? Or, 150+ mph?

But every corner you turn in a good handling car is always a pleasure.

A Miata hits the sweet spot for me. If you've never driven a Miata, for weekend kicks go to a dealer and test drive one. They have automatics, if manual transmissions aren't your thing. If you do, let us know whatcha think!
ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
For me, handling is more important than 0 - 60 mph times or top speed. How often are you in a hurry to go from 0 to 60? Or, 150+ mph?

But every corner you turn in a good handling car is always a pleasure.

A Miata hits the sweet spot for me. If you've never driven a Miata, for weekend kicks go to a dealer and test drive one. They have automatics, if manual transmissions aren't your thing. If you do, let us know whatcha think!
I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Miatas but unfortunately I don't fit in them. I actually look over the windshield and can't put my feet on the pedals. They really look like an affordable fun car.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:26 PM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt715 View Post
I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Miatas but unfortunately I don't fit in them. I actually look over the windshield and can't put my feet on the pedals. They really look like an affordable fun car.
The reviews claim the new model is tall people friendly, Matt. Ya might wanna try one on for size. Although, my buying brand new car days are past me. I'd wait 'til 3 year old, used ones start showing up.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:13 PM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
The reviews claim the new model is tall people friendly, Matt. Ya might wanna try one on for size. Although, my buying brand new car days are past me. I'd wait 'til 3 year old, used ones start showing up.
That would be sweet if they did make the seating area roomier. Maybe one day I'll have to stop by a dealer and check a new one out. The last one I sat in was a 2001? at the auto show in Chicago. I'd love to get a fun car but my finances aren't such that I can buy a toy like that let alone a new one. For now my Ranger will have to do.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:13 PM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt715 View Post
That would be sweet if they did make the seating area roomier. Maybe one day I'll have to stop by a dealer and check a new one out. The last one I sat in was a 2001? at the auto show in Chicago. I'd love to get a fun car but my finances aren't such that I can buy a toy like that let alone a new one. For now my Ranger will have to do.
Hmmm. Now we know why "Fiancee" looks so much like "finance", Matt. Yep. You missed your window, buddy. Your next window to buy toys will be AFTER the kids graduate college, IF you're lucky.

When's the big day, Matt? Perhaps you can marry into a fun car. What does she drive?
Old 02-28-2017, 08:50 AM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Nice. It will ONLY get better, too.

Paul, you would probably know the answer to something like this... Is marijuana legal in the UK?
Last time I checked it was a Class B here, only legal if you get it medically subscribed from a Doctor, otherwise it's a hefty fine for personal use. Never used it myself, alcohol is my poison, been smashing the bars quite a bit recently too!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:43 AM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMak View Post
I just saw the movie APEX: The Story of the Hypercar. Well worth seeing for sports car lovers.

I mention this because many of these manufacturers create runs that are counted in the hundreds of vehicles per year, so if you sold 100 x $1.5M hypercars last year, and this year you sell 125, that's a stellar 25% growth!

And I mention this, because:
  1. When people talks about "the fastest growing" this or that product segment (like EVs), they're usually talking about small numbers that can show remarkable "growth" just by selling more small numbers, and...
  2. They're likely ignoring even smaller segments that are displaying even more impressive "growth", like the stratospherically priced hypercar market.
Which brings me back to the movie, APEX: The Story of the Hypercar. Available on the iTunes store or Vimeo. Loved it :-)
Care needs to be taken when talking percentages, but plug ins are growing faster than the hybrid segment did in the US, and it is growing despite cheap fuel here. We'll have to wait and see if they break the 3% of new vehicle sales ceiling that hybrids have hit though.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:19 PM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
Hmmm. Now we know why "Fiancee" looks so much like "finance", Matt. Yep. You missed your window, buddy. Your next window to buy toys will be AFTER the kids graduate college, IF you're lucky.

When's the big day, Matt? Perhaps you can marry into a fun car. What does she drive?
Single and loving it.