40% USA Corn used for biofuels / 2,500 gallons of water for 1 gallon of biofuel - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #21
Registered Member

Why? That's a question that would require a very long answer Doug, and one that someone as low down on the food chain as me wouldn't even know how, why or where to begin to answer!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:10 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Why? That's a question that would require a very long answer Doug, and one that someone as low down on the food chain as me wouldn't even know how, why or where to begin to answer!
hahahaha Just wanted see how you'd handle such a brain twister, Paul! No hard intended.

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:28 PM   #23
Registered Member

You might like this guy Doug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym8emBsYdMs

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:52 PM   #24
Registered Member

Oh, yes. I discovered Llewellyn a few few weeks ago. This is one of his funniest with his impersonations.

There's a 70 minute, YouTube video of him doing a stand up routine in a public place. It's just still pictures, but listening is still lots of fun.

He use to be sponsored by British Gas or something like that. Now he's panhandling.

BTW, did you know we Yanks are enjoying a national holiday? We're celebrating our official independence from the British thanks to our freedom fighters (known as terrorists to the British). Yeah. All over America people are drinking the crappiest beer you will ever drink.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:25 PM   #25
Registered Member

That's impressive what that guy presents on homes.
The other side of the spectrum. I remember I had a small old trailer up in the Hills at 5300 feet elevation. I went through 1/2 cord of wood every two weeks. Not cheap at all. I still burned $900 worth of propane that winter. Talk about waste.
I avoided any trailers because of utility costs when looking at a home. Buying a home now. It is designed and leans toward efficient. It's all electric. Average is $116 a month. That's very good when considering it's electric heat. It has a separate meter just for the heat. Cost is 1/2 on the heat. Even then, the rest of the electricity is reasonable at; 11.4 cents a KWH. That's a great stride above what I was doing in that trailer.
I'd consider solar if it became reasonable enough. Also if I had the money.
You all might be interested. Last I heard. The enron debacle in So. Cal. They were paying 28 cents a KWH.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:29 AM   #26
Registered Member

I did not know Plankton had bones.
R.I.D.E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:39 AM   #27
Registered Member

Here's the most entertaining, Llewellyn presentation I had mentioned. It would've been hard to find, because it was NOT listed in his YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q7_...9KU8UJgY_ltcv3
Old 07-05-2016, 05:20 AM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Corolla View Post
That's impressive what that guy presents on homes.
The other side of the spectrum. I remember I had a small old trailer up in the Hills at 5300 feet elevation. I went through 1/2 cord of wood every two weeks. Not cheap at all. I still burned $900 worth of propane that winter. Talk about waste.
I avoided any trailers because of utility costs when looking at a home. Buying a home now. It is designed and leans toward efficient. It's all electric. Average is $116 a month. That's very good when considering it's electric heat. It has a separate meter just for the heat. Cost is 1/2 on the heat. Even then, the rest of the electricity is reasonable at; 11.4 cents a KWH. That's a great stride above what I was doing in that trailer.
I'd consider solar if it became reasonable enough. Also if I had the money.
You all might be interested. Last I heard. The enron debacle in So. Cal. They were paying 28 cents a KWH.
I always wondered why early population centers didn't spring up in warmer climates.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:22 AM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Modern homes with solar roofs are so efficient and generate so much electricity, that you actually earn money from your own house by selling the electric back to the grid. Not surprisingly, the government hates this idea, and keeps trying to say that these houses are "too expensive" to build, which is a lie...
Here it is the large power utilities that hate solar, because it frees consumers from their monopolies.

Depending on the state, the private utility could have too much power in the government. Getting regulations passed that hinders solar. Some states have great incentives for solar on the other hand.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:42 AM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
Here it is the large power utilities that hate solar, because it frees consumers from their monopolies.

Depending on the state, the private utility could have too much power in the government. Getting regulations passed that hinders solar. Some states have great incentives for solar on the other hand.
The Koch brothers convinced Arizona politicians to make solar SO unattractive that, if I remember correctly, Solar City pulled out of the state.