98 civic sedan coefficient of drag? where to find? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2006, 04:23 PM   #21
Registered Member

Re: Synergies I'd say, I'd try

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Synergies I'd say,

I'd try to see if you could fit a civic vx rear diffuser on the del sol if I were you,
Huh? Got a pic?

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:27 PM   #22
*shrug*

No pictures, but it sits on

No pictures, but it sits on the back and does kinda what compaq was going for but stock and really well. As we know, the vx was the gas mileage king/queen of it's time.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:06 PM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:Which would have the

Quote:
Which would have the greatest impact? Would all three create synergies that one or two would not?
depends. i have no idea what the underside of your car is like. but typically, about 1/3 of a car's total drag is caused there. (1/3 is cooling & engine compartment flow, the other 3rd is airflow over the outside of the car).

if you make the underbody smooth, you don't need a chin level air dam (the purpose of which is to keep airflow away from a rough underbody). smoothing the underbody is preferable because it doesn't increase frontal area.

i'm not really sure what holes in the back bumper would do. haven't read anything about that or thought much about it.

Quote:
I wanna reduce drag, but I don't want to change the look of the car.
come on, think of the mpg, man! that rear pod-mod would be good for at least a couple more mpg at highway speeds. should i assume we're also not going to be seeing wheel skirts on the del camino? (my cardboard ones are getting pretty darn ratty with the snow melt & puddles lately.)

ps - the rear underbody treatment we're aiming for isn't technically a diffuser. it's just a pan.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:22 PM   #24
*shrug*

Quote:ps - the rear

Quote:
ps - the rear underbody treatment we're aiming for isn't technically a diffuser. it's just a pan.
True, but if the stock diffuser was a bolt on that'd be pimp.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:50 PM   #25
Registered Member

my bad - i was talking more

my bad - i was talking more about the terminology. "diffuser" isn't really the right word for the pan under the back of the vx. i'm just being picky about words.

i agree it would be great if it were a simple swap though.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:53 PM   #26
Driving on E

Re: No pictures, but it sits on

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
No pictures, but it sits on the back and does kinda what compaq was going for but stock and really well. As we know, the vx was the gas mileage king/queen of it's time.
I actually got one of these for a friend of mine at the junkyard... it looks like this:

(part #14)

Diemaster said there was a VX at his junkyard, it might be good ask him to check for this part. If you guys don't want it I'll take it (assuming it's still there).
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:48 AM   #27
Registered Member

VX Diffuser

It's kinda hard to tell from the picture but does it sit behind the rear wheel on both sides and redirect the air out the the side instead of air being trapped in the rear bumper cover? Can you see it from the outside or do you have to get under the car to see it?

I think there is one of these in my parking lot at work. Maybe I will take a peek? How can I tell if it is a VX? It is the hatchback as shown in the picture. Are all hachbacks VX's?

Any, Diemaster, If you are listening. Do you know if that diffuser is still available?

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:15 AM   #28
Driving on E

Re: VX Diffuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
It's kinda hard to tell from the picture but does it sit behind the rear wheel on both sides and redirect the air out the the side instead of air being trapped in the rear bumper cover? Can you see it from the outside or do you have to get under the car to see it?

I think there is one of these in my parking lot at work. Maybe I will take a peek? How can I tell if it is a VX? It is the hatchback as shown in the picture. Are all hachbacks VX's?

Any, Diemaster, If you are listening. Do you know if that diffuser is still available?
It's a plastic piece that is about the size of a computer. I say that because a computer box was the only box big enough for me to ship it in. It's not visible unless you get under the car and look.

The one I took it off of was on the drivers side. It attached to the bumper and was held in by a screw or two as well.

It essentially smooths out the airflow before the bumper in that area. I used to have pictures of one but I can't find them now. I'll look a little more.

The civic VX will say "VX" on it. There are at least 3 different hatchback models during those years, so don't mistake a non-vx for a vx.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:06 AM   #29
Registered Member

the dead giveaway for

the dead giveaway for spotting a VX is its 13-in spoked alloy rims - assuming it still has its stock rims on (or any rims at all, if in a junk yard)
Old 02-23-2006, 10:06 AM   #30
Driving on E

Re: the dead giveaway for

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
the dead giveaway for spotting a VX is its 13-in spoked alloy rims - assuming it still has its stock rims on (or any rims at all, if in a junk yard)
For the most part, yes. I did see a VX in the junkyard once with steel rims, which I didn't understand at all.