A chance to get a cheap rebuilt engine for my n600 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2006, 11:28 PM   #1
Driving on E

A chance to get a cheap rebuilt engine for my n600

I'm torn as to what i should do on this one. There is a woman selling a honda z600 (the hatchback version of the n600) in Arizona for $500. She said the engine was rebuilt 6-7 years ago by one of the leading authority in the country of these cars and never run.

Shipping to Utah would probably also be around $500.

Normally an engine rebuild costs $2000-$3000.

My engine runs right now, but I'm wondering if I can pass up on this chance.

Will a rebuilt engine that has been sitting for 6-7 years have any problems? Any idea what to do with a z600 shell (besides clutter up the driveway and look trashy?).

I guess I could always swap the engines and then sell the z600 for a profit, or perhaps just break even.

I'd love to hear your advice/feedback.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:51 AM   #2

I'd do just what you said - buy it, swap it, sell it.

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:43 AM   #3
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
I'd do just what you said - buy it, swap it, sell it.
There is another upside to this too. The z600 has a tachometer. THe n600 does not. I could also swap in the tach and have myself a nice little setup there.

Do you think there is a chance of the engine being siezed after not being used for 6 or 7 years?
Old 07-25-2006, 08:31 AM   #4
Registered Member

Can't the seller tell you if it's seized?
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:33 AM   #5
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Can't the seller tell you if it's seized?
The seller is the wife of the owner... apparently he hurt his back years ago and is unable to work on the car any more. it seems that she really doesn't know what she's talking about, only that she needs to sell it asap.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:38 AM   #6
Registered Member

Matt: I don't know what condition something which has been sitting for that long, might be in. If it was all closed up, meaning it was finished and had been driven, even a small amount, then their would be some chance it wouldn't have any major problems, between the dryer air in Arizona and being closed up. However, if they put it in but never actually got it all hooked up and running and anything was left open, like the air cleaner or the exhaust manifold, then I would think it would be all bet's are off.

I think it would depend on how "used" your current motor is and how quickly you might need or want a replacement. Is their anyone who might be able to go look at the motor, for you?
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:55 AM   #7
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer
Matt: I don't know what condition something which has been sitting for that long, might be in. If it was all closed up, meaning it was finished and had been driven, even a small amount, then their would be some chance it wouldn't have any major problems, between the dryer air in Arizona and being closed up. However, if they put it in but never actually got it all hooked up and running and anything was left open, like the air cleaner or the exhaust manifold, then I would think it would be all bet's are off.

I think it would depend on how "used" your current motor is and how quickly you might need or want a replacement. Is their anyone who might be able to go look at the motor, for you?
You make an excellent point.

According to them it was installed totally (air filter, exhaust manifold, the works). They ran into a problem with the points. Apparently they were missing a small part and could never find it, so it never ran.

I don't know anyone in Arizona that could look at it.