A picture for dan - Page 8 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2006, 02:05 AM   #71
Registered Member

water is so good, I pay for

water is so good, I pay for it all the time and never touch tap unless it was the last resource for water.

Hey I got a question, if you eat a lot of at the fast food chains, and you seem to be not gaining weight but breaking even or even losing a pound or two, then is there a medical explanation to what's going on with my body besides a fast metabolism?

You guys talk about shaving weight... I want to gain some... being less than 130 lb is no fun... I feel I can crack a bone so easily these days.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:40 AM   #72
Registered Member

I got the same thing and

I got the same thing and even my dad had it. Enjoy it while you can. I weigh between 120-122lbs. Your metabolism will slow down and you will start gaining weight. My dad was also lightweight like I am and when he got older he started to gain weight. If you want to put on weight the only way to do that is to go to the gym and work out. Since muscles weigh a lot you'll gain weight but it will be mostly muscle, not fat.

When I used to be in high school I worked out a lot and I had some huge muscles. That was the only way I gained weight. You will actually notice that it doesn't matter if you eat 4500 calories or 1500 calories you will stay the same weight. When you go under a certain number you start losing weight. I used to eat about 4000-5000 calories a day to gain weight, it didn't work at all. All I did was run the fridge dry really fast. Now I eat 1500-2000 calories and have something to eat for next time.

For those people that have to manage weight they can only eat a certain amount of calories to keep the same weight. If they go down they lose weight, if they go up they gain weight.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:15 AM   #73
Registered Member

Extra Weight

I was exactly the same way: up until around 23. I was thin and wanted to gain weight. I didn't really do anything about it, but over the course over the next few years the ol' metabolism started slowing down and the weight started building-up. At 26, I was to the point where I needed to take charge of my weight, cholesterol, and health. I was on the road eating whatever was there (mostly fast food) and it got to be a problem.

The important thing NOT to do are these "quick-fix" diets (Atkins, South Beach, etc.)-- if people are serious about keeping the weight off after the diet ends, you have to make it a "lifestyle change". In the U.S. especially, portions have increased and nutritional quality of the food has decreased on average, so you need to eat whatever you want, but just less of it (and drink a lot of water to clear-out the burned fat and toxins). If you want, slowly introduce healthier foods -- if you do it "cold-turkey" or abruptly, many studies show that the liklihood of getting burned-out on it and give up is pretty high. Small changes over time is the key.

Regarding weight gain, protein is the answer. First, assess your nutritional intake and make sure you're not deficient in any key nutriet, vitamin, or mineral (I advocate taking a multi-vitamin -- I don't care what brand, just make sure it is has good "bioavailability", which should be printed on the label (fancy speak for the body's ability to absorb and proces the vitamin/mineral)). Secondly, if you need to gain weight, introduce perhaps a protein shake, more protein in the diet, or that sort of thing. Fast food isn't the best way to gain weight (although I can say that it will in many people - yup personal experience), but rather a controlled intake of protein.

Good luck with your nutritional goals and health!

RH77
Old 04-09-2006, 07:18 AM   #74
Registered Member

I'm just going to wait it

I'm just going to wait it out.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:19 AM   #75
Driving on E

Re: water is so good, I pay for

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmcneal
water is so good, I pay for it all the time and never touch tap unless it was the last resource for water.

Hey I got a question, if you eat a lot of at the fast food chains, and you seem to be not gaining weight but breaking even or even losing a pound or two, then is there a medical explanation to what's going on with my body besides a fast metabolism?

You guys talk about shaving weight... I want to gain some... being less than 130 lb is no fun... I feel I can crack a bone so easily these days.
Sometimes people will initially lose weight while eating fast food b/c their muscles will deteriorate. Since muscle weighs more than fat it makes you look as though you're losing weight. You're just gaining fat and that isn't good.

Hit the gym. If your body type doesn't let you get really big or fat, so be it. Consider yourself lucky. THe best t hing to do is to just stay healthy and let your body find it's own ideal weight.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:58 AM   #76
Registered Member

I guess I should add my mugg

I guess I should add my mugg also:

So who can guess whats in the glass???
Old 04-11-2006, 03:20 AM   #77
Registered Member

^^ rum and coke? Very good

^^ rum and coke?

Very good advice from RH and compaq, hm although I must admit I get the munchies all the time heheheh so I'm blessed for now! At my work place (a retail store) I'm always carrying dissasembled furnature for someone or helping customers move a 27 inch tv into their tiny mazda323. People always get the impression that I can't carry the goods they buy by myself, and when I prove them wrong, the look on their faces as well their good comments of "Oh wow you so strong " makes me stronger than I look. I owe it all to surviving through the worse of mininum wage labor jobs. (Now this retail store is cozy because my manager is actually my cousin in law

Hm... avocate of the pills eh... the last time I took Centrum was a year ago. Since then I got lazy and I thought taking drugs was bad for you since I'm already on one lol... I thought being naturale is the best way but hot diggy damn if these pills do work I godda start taking them again! Well my wife took tons of omega3 pills during her pregnancy and she said it really made a difference in our child's health. (when he was born he was scored 9 out of 10 in a healthy scale, he missed the 10 because his skin color was a bit blue but most babies go through that phase until they begin to be exposed to the fresh oxygen)

As for calcium, I used to love milk. But now I can't even touch it, I dunno I lost the taste for it. Now I'm easily grossed out from it too, but I guess there's orange juice with calcium in it hehe. Great health advice I'm going to try to build more muscle for sure, hey is there a tool I can get that can moniter FAT? How do you know how much %fat you have and your %muscule? Is there an equation?
Old 04-11-2006, 04:44 AM   #78

Re: ^^ rum and coke?

Quote:
^^ rum and coke?
Nah, that's got to be Old English 800...on the rocks!
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:17 AM   #79
Driving on E

Re: ^^ rum and coke?

Quote:
As for calcium, I used to love milk. But now I can't even touch it, I dunno I lost the taste for it. Now I'm easily grossed out from it too, but I guess there's orange juice with calcium in it hehe. Great health advice I'm going to try to build more muscle for sure, hey is there a tool I can get that can moniter FAT? How do you know how much %fat you have and your %muscule? Is there an equation?
We don't drink cow milk either. We figure that we're not baby cows, so why should we be drinking their food?

Give soy milk, almond milk, or rice milk a try. They're all so freaking yummy!
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:42 AM   #80
Registered Member

philmcneal you'd be

philmcneal you'd be surprised how much a skinny person has fat. Skinny people usually have a good amount of fat, you just can't see it. It's about 10%

I used to be very skinny too. Very skinny, all my rib bones showed and it made me run faster due to not having a lot fat or muscles. In high school I ran slower because the muscles were just too big. You should of seen the look on somebody's face when I could do 100 sit ups without even breaking a sweat.