Am I crazy for thinking like this? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-09-2008, 12:05 AM   #1
Registered Member

Am I crazy for thinking like this?

I like cars and have nothing against racing of all forms despite the large amount of fuel "wasted" so to speak. But when it comes to driving in everyday traffic, I think one should be a hypermiler because saving a few seconds or minutes in commute time is not worth it if it means spending that much more fuel, but in racing it's a different story. My dad was confused when I let on that I was perfectly fine with people racing on a track but not with him making superfluous trips to the store or different places, i.e. not consolidating his trips.

Does anyone else agree with me in my thinking or do is everybody against any kind "wasting" of fuel, in all circumstances. This would also explain why I drive 55mph on the freeway yet believe that they should increase the speed limits on the freeway and or have speed limits specific to the lane you're driving in.

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:08 AM   #2
Registered Member

look on the road, what do u see, do you think people think like that...

youve got yourself the answer

GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:30 AM   #3
Registered Member

in america, we spend so much money on entertainment. I would guess that more fuel is used to make an action movie with all the helicopter scenes and fighter jet scenes than a nascar or drag race ever used. you also have to factor in fuel to get the overpaid actors to the movie site which is usually in some foreign country that is half the world away from where they are right now and also the fuel costs to get them all the amenities that they are used to that were more than likely a stipulation of them doing the movie in the first place.

also, the speed limit on a road is just that the "UPPER LIMIT" anything above that is breaking the law. we all agreed to those rules when we got our drivers licinses. the fast lane on a 4 lane highway is still at that upper limit and no more. the only way I know that you can go above the speed limit LEGALLY is if you are a first responder or an ambulance driver heading to an accident or an incident but your lights have to be flashing so everyone else knows that you are going somewhere important.

and yes, the rest of the world doesn't agree with me on that one. just drive down an interstate.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:37 AM   #4

speaking of actors, one of the star actors (there's 4 to choose) from The Dark Knight is staying at my hotel tonight....random.
almightybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:19 AM   #5
Registered Member

Racing provides lots of trickle-down technology to the rest of us. It gives manufacturers a good route to test things that they couldn't get data (legally) if they had cars driving around on regular roads.

The average person has no business racing though. I personally think that speed limits should be LOWERED! High-tech cameras should line our highways, and ticket people who endanger themselves and those around them.
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:40 AM   #6
Registered Member

being from the south (unites states southern states that is). the average person around here has their daily driver, some sort of SUV (maybe mini-van), and their FUN vehicle. up and down my subdivision alone I can count about a dozen classic cars that are running upwards of 500hp.

the AVERAGE person as I guess you could call it should be indicative to the area. I have friends that regularly go to VIR (a road course in virginia) and try to get better times each time. most of my friends belong to some sort of car club be it tuners or even jeep clubs. I was a member of dodge truck world where 300hp was just getting started and 6500 pound diesel trucks were pushing 12 second qtr miles.

remember that not everywhere in the world is the same as where you live.

I personally had a small pickup that would run 0-60 in less than 6 seconds...and I knew how to drive it.

*edit* I do agree with a set speed limit and enforcement of that speed limit but I also think that if I wanted to take my toy car and go to the track with it, I should be able to do that too. many times hobbies (as racing is to a lot of people) can sometimes turn into a career that is very successful and helpful to the automotive industry.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:01 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrick View Post
Racing provides lots of trickle-down technology to the rest of us. It gives manufacturers a good route to test things that they couldn't get data (legally) if they had cars driving around on regular roads.

The average person has no business racing though. I personally think that speed limits should be LOWERED! High-tech cameras should line our highways, and ticket people who endanger themselves and those around them.
Just what we need to do, further pad the coffers of those that have no freaking idea what to do with our money.

NEVER!

Jim T.

Ignorance is lack of knowing; stupidity is false logic
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:12 AM   #8

There's something intoxicating about horsepower; laying black marks, those wonderful sounds, and the thrill of power and performance are good things.

I fully enjoy all those things in my Z28. Getting to the speed limit in less than six seconds is a real hoot. My tires don't make black marks, and really don't spin a lot, but the sounds and fury when they let loose is awe inspiring. Driving to work is precise; find a hole, point and shoot, and there you are.

Some folks don't enjoy that kind of stuff, and I don't do it all the time (hardly at all any more), but it's fun when it comes along. I understand that there are people that frown upon that kind of thing but that's their cross to bear, not mine.

We all draw the moral line at a place that we find comfortable. "Wasting" fuel is relative to the individual. Personally, I think the ideas that gasoline is evil and shouldn't be condoned any more than absolutely necessary is crazy. Also, the idea that petroleum is extremely finite and should be rationed is equally crazy. I don't subscribe to those notions and don't feel a lot of remorse when I drive for an hour just because I enjoy being on the road.

I do feel remorse that it takes money away from other valuable things I want or need, but it's still a lot cheaper than going to bars (and divorce courts), and other fun-but-expensive hobbies.
Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:24 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrick View Post

Racing is not done on the streets, period. It's done on a race track be it oval, road course, or drag strip.

And BEEF, VIR rocks!
Old 10-09-2008, 06:43 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
I've autocrossed or road course raced all of my Hondas/Acuras. My 86 Integra I would autocross and then on the street maintain 42mpg tank averages. My 98 Integra GSR I would race at Brainerd International Raceway and then average 41mpg on the street with it. And with that car, I was posting faster lap times than Corvettes that were there.

So I guess that you can see that I support both the racing industry and hypermiling. There are trickle down benefits from racing, such as, aerodynamic improvements, more efficient engine designs, tire tech, etc.

I whole-heartedly agree that racing needs to stay on the track and commuting is for the streets....It's just that the "average" person can't seem to get that straight. I remember someone creating a spreadsheet that would calculate the time difference of a trip given driving at different speeds...it was a minuscule difference except if you were traveling over 300 miles, at which point going 55 versus 70 was about an hour's difference.

But I'm kinda preaching to the choir here on this forum. This is the very reason this forum exists though. To supply information to the above "average" person that realizes that we must make changes happen ourselves and not rely on the Government or Auto Manufacturers to do it for us. We are ultimately responsible for our actions, and I feel that the "average" person doesn't realize that yet. It's kind of like the idea behind "The Matrix", there seems to be a handful (when compared to the population of the world) of people who understand whats going on and don't meander around on this planet like Sheeple, doing/believing whatever commercials and propaganda tell them to.

Ok, I'm getting off my soap box now....I just had two cups of coffee and this topic struck me. I needed to kind of vent, it happens every once in a while.

Keep fighting the good fight and help the Sheeple wake up and think for themselves!

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote