Another cop pulled me over - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2007, 05:14 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete86 View Post
Why do you always get out of getting pulled over? They always assume that I'm stoned and demand to search my car when they pull me over for nothing.
Trying to be constructive here, but seeing the "screw the cops while we ride our bikes" thread, I wonder if some attitude isn't shining through.

Next time try:
1. Stay in the car, keep hands on the wheel where they can see them. Don't make motions that would make them nervous.
2. Be friendly but respectful.
3. If you did something stupid to get pulled over, don't lie about it, apologize if anything. If you honestly didn't do anything then you have to play it by ear, you can state your case, but stay respectful and don't start in on the cop. He IS in charge at that point.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:26 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
I'm wondering how stopping by a police station to ask them what is legal or illegal about my car would differ substantially from asking the cop who pulled me over the same question (which I do with every cop who pulls me over).
That's definitely what I would do but not with local pd, (SC)HP is likely responsible for vehicle code enforcement ime. Out here we have CHP and California Smog Referee inspections for just about anything done to a car. I would go to the DMV and say that I've done some changes in bodywork to my car and would like to have it inspected, etc... They'll send me to the CHP, and the VIN officer will likely point out anything and everything that isn't in compliance, after which I'll change it all and go back for another inspection at the same station. Since it's the same basic car/body, I doubt I would have much trouble, and now I have something signed off saying that my car is legit from an officer who does nothing but verify regs/codes and such. If I ever get stopped and told my vehicle doesn't comply with regs, I can just produce the paper work showing it was inspected by CHP officer X at station Y and is totally legal. From the horse's mouth, inspections depend on the officer, but generally, so long as the engine, emissions system, and frame haven't been altered, you can do whatever you want to the body, including fabrication.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:33 PM   #13
Registered Member

Yah, Brett was not respecting his authorita.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:32 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarhighway View Post
well i think you're lucky to be able to legally ad all that stuff to your car. we have to deal with anual technical inspections. anything not factory stock on the car has to be officially approved by the manifacturer, and some other agencies. it has to be installed according to a manual or otherwise needs to pass a number of tests you have to pay for and so on bla bla bla.... basically if it's diy it's probably illegal.

it's a good thing they check things like emissions, headlight alignment and tire profile and suspention etc. but i'm pretty sure a diy belly pan would get me in serious trouble...

oh well... limitations fuel creativeness
Its sad that your government(s) professes to be trying to reduce carbon emissions and yet it won't let its private citizens employ their enginuity to do what they can to reduce their own personal carbon emissions.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:37 AM   #15

If possible see if you can find a copy of the uniform vehicle code, (I'm pretty sure that is the name of the code you want). There might be an edition for your state but if not you can just get the national one. I had it when I built my kit car so I could make sure it fit the rules.

The cops generally don't know the rules completely and most of the time they think just write the ticket and let the judge decide if it was legal or not. No big deal to them but it is a huge hassle to you. If you read the rules and the cop hassles you, mention that you comply with the uniform vehicle code and they normally will let you go without a ticket.
CoyoteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:49 AM   #16
Registered Member

Sounds to me like you should just tell the officer you conform to the Uniform Vehicle Code, anyway. Since they probably don't know anyway, maybe they would let it go, rather than risk it.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:54 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer View Post
Sounds to me like you should just tell the officer you conform to the Uniform Vehicle Code, anyway. Since they probably don't know anyway, maybe they would let it go, rather than risk it.

lol if i were a cop and someone said that to me during a traffic stop i would belive he was tryign to be a smart a$$ to me.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 06:51 AM   #18
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
lol if i were a cop and someone said that to me during a traffic stop i would belive he was tryign to be a smart a$$ to me.
yea. i would think the same thing. but i am not a cop, or else my driving record would be flawless
Old 09-15-2007, 06:59 AM   #19
Registered Member

I would go to the police station, and where you get your inspections done with the plans for your mods to the car before going farther. If there are minor things to help with keeping it legal you could change, I think it would be beneficial for your MPG since then you wouldn't get pulled over all the time...haha

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:48 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danronian View Post
I would go to the police station, and where you get your inspections done with the plans for your mods to the car before going farther. If there are minor things to help with keeping it legal you could change, I think it would be beneficial for your MPG since then you wouldn't get pulled over all the time...haha

lol true. i just said to go to a police station because we dont have inspection/emmisions tests done where i live so thats who i would have to go to. but either place would be good to get stuff checked at.

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote