Anyone else notice a lot more people driving with windows down, a/c off? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2008, 11:28 AM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
It's pretty easy to poke holes in most of their experiments. I enjoy watching the show, but I don't consider their results as proven.
I agree. Mythbusters seem to think through all their tests pretty good and try their best at it, but sometimes it is hard to compensate for little variables.

No two vehicles even the same model with the same motor/trans/gearing and options etc, are exactly alike, and no two drivers drive exactly the same. There are too many other variables to list. It is really hard unless you have a real controlled experiment running on a dyno.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #22
Registered Member

What about with regards to an incline? I'd think that using A/C would not only risk overheating the engines (in high temperatures) but also produce strain on the engine and thus would require more power which equals more gas.
In that case, would windows down be better?

GasSavers_grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:13 PM   #23

don't know about some vehicles, but driving through CA when it's 115 degrees with the AC on up a hill still net me 32mpg. The AC pulley didn't seem to care, and I didn't ever come close to overheating. Unrelatedly, I will change the alternator pulley before winter, it was whining loudly when cold last year.
almightybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:54 AM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
It's pretty easy to poke holes in most of their experiments. I enjoy watching the show, but I don't consider their results as proven.
yea me too, most of their non vehicle tests seem pretty logical but when it comes to cars theres alot of variables they missed...Its not really their fault the producers tell em what to do...

i know you can post up ideas on their site, might give it a shot, maybe suggest a MPG special edition or something.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:39 PM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I've noticed a lot more people driving w/o a/c, and its not just people in older piece o' crap cars where its probably broke. I'm talking late model Beamers and Escalades driving with the windows down. Anyone else notice this trend?
Nope. Just me. And the po' folks. Of course, it was 112 degrees today, and right now, at 9:30 at night, it's 92 degrees. And out here, everyone's still going 80. Actually had to dive onto the shoulder of the 14 Freeway just south of Rosamond today to get out of the way of some one, probably from the local Air Force Base, driving a bright yellow Ford Focus at 80+ and lane splitting...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:48 PM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
A little OT here, but your car name confused me for a second... I thought how the heck did you ever get a Buick BlackHawk? Wasn't that a concept car that they only made 1 or 2 of? I guess with gas prices going the way they are Buick will probably never make it now.

-Jay

Looks like a concept car remake of an old concept car...1938 Buick "Y Job"...with a '39 grille grafted on...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:03 AM   #27
Registered Member

Wait another 20 years, GM (by then likely owned by Dharmsala Jitney ltd., Mumbai) will come out with a concept car based on the 1971 Vega.... with a 1978 Chevette grille...
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:06 AM   #28
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
Looks like a concept car remake of an old concept car...1938 Buick "Y Job"...with a '39 grille grafted on...

There's a reason that it looks like a 39 grille - because it is. The 39 grille was the inspiration for the car, and design cues were taken from the Buicks of the 30's & 40's.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:16 PM   #29
Registered Member

Well, I don't drive enough to notice, but when I leave my Wal-Mart, I've noticed fewer SUV and trucks in the parking lot.

The parking lot is empty in the morning, customers seem to be buying more in bulk, and I don't hear the humm of idling engines as much any more. Even with the change in shopping behavior, sales seem to be about the same in general from last year.
OokiiMamoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:19 PM   #30
Registered Member

i still find a buttload of stupid soccer moms in minivans driving like the dumbaholes they are...

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote