April 1st - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-01-2016, 08:37 AM   #1
Registered Member

April 1st

Anybody find any hilarious April fools pranks in the motoring World? I was reading this article earlier before I remembered the date! Although I kind of like the idea to be honest

Volvo announces selfassembly plugin car | Next Green Car

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #2
Registered Member

A Yorkshire Bus company ran an article about a new luxury route where all passengers had to take their shoes off and either provide their own, or rent a pair of slippers on board. All wearers of lace up shoes should unfasten them while waiting at the bus stop to avoid delays. Incidentally, my new Prius collection was put back from this avo to Tuesday due to a recall over long screws in the suspension? Maybe the Toyota service apprentice had been sent to get the long screws and long weight from stores at the same time...

Old 04-01-2016, 12:52 PM   #3
Registered Member

I have a good one.
First... I need to explain that the Sturgis Bike Rally is really big. Probably the biggest motorcycle rally in the world. Last year they were spread out on time to be here. I estimate we reached one million.
Anyway.... I was working night shift at a convenience store during the rally. This biker couple came in. They started bugging me about when we closed. I kept telling them we didn't ever close. They wouldn't quit. So I gave in...
I said: Ok...we close one day a year.
The guy: Well? What day is that? Is it Christmas or New Years.
I said: Neither
The guy: What? If it isn't one of those two. Which day is it?
I said: April 1st
14Corolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:48 PM   #4
Registered Member

There's more truth to this than you may think.

In our automobile future, I predict EV car companies will sell a basic car chassis (call it a 'skateboard') upon which many custom car companies place their unique chassis and interiors.

The recreational vehicle and truck companies have already had a similar relationship with the major automakers for many, many years.
ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:07 AM   #5
Registered Member

GM's original skateboard concept actually went further. The car owner could have it swap bodies with the attending changes in driving behavior. Have a sedate hatchback for commuting and grocery getting, then make it a sports car for the weekend.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:48 AM   #6
Registered Member

That's what they used to do when cars first came out (pre safety regs of course!) you'd buy a chassis and and engine and then commission a coachbuilding company to build you the body of your dreams. Or do it yourself in the shed at the weekend. Such companies still exist, check out this amazing Touring Disco Volante based on the already beautiful Alfa 8C.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:02 AM   #7
Registered Member

Yes, but imagine having a wagon/estate body in the garage that can easily replace the sports one for when you have to haul people and stuff around.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:42 AM   #8
Registered Member

I can't see that happening these days, the main reasons cars went from having an independent chassis, besides saving weight/space etc was for safety reasons. Having everything bolted to the body makes a vehicle structuraly stronger in a crash etc. There are other benefits too like better handling, lower centre of gravity etc etc.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #9
Registered Member

The concept is fine for center of gravity and handling. This isn't anything like the ladder frame chassis still used for trucks. The battery and attending components are all packed into a relatively thin 'skateboard', with hub motors for the wheels The package sits lower than the height of the wheels.

The skateboard battery pack of the Tesla might trace its conception back to GM's concept for this.

It was actually a FCEV.
GM AUTOnomy - - The Revolution Starts Here! : EVWORLD.COM

A small company might have tried selling a BEV Skateboard for people to build their own car on.
Trexa platform lets you develop your own damn electric vehicle!