Are you a believer in Peak Oil theory? - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

View Poll Results: Do you believe in the Peak Oil theory?
Yes, I do. 27 87.10%
No, I do not. 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2007, 08:57 PM   #31
Registered Member

It doesn't take much imagination to figure that we can design a softer landing on the sustainable path than the market would impose on us by default, if we are properly motivated that is.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:03 PM   #32
Registered Member

Once we free up the market these things won't be as much of a problem...

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:12 PM   #33
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe View Post
It doesn't take much imagination to figure that we can design a softer landing on the sustainable path than the market would impose on us by default, if we are properly motivated that is.
Totally - which is one thing that separates us meat people from other animals -- long term planning. But we're (general - not so much on the site) still bickering about the problem (ahhh! oil), not so much on the solutions. Sometimes, the best decision is in the fact that you continue to make decisions...

You've probably seen me say this in the past... But if we don't regulate ourselves, nature will be so kind and do it for us. And that will be rather unpleasant for us (and the status quo-tians).

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:38 PM   #34
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
peak oil as in finite oil? absolutely. it could be argued otherwise that it can be formed again, but for all practical purposes, it's not cuz it takes longer than most people live (I dunno about you but I plan on living forever) as with my stance on environmentalism tho, the only thing at risk is us. the earth will go on long after we kill ourselves off. even if it has to work with cockroaches and bacteria after ww3, well it started with less.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:38 PM   #35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamesama980 View Post
peak oil as in finite oil? absolutely. it could be argued otherwise that it can be formed again, but for all practical purposes, it's not cuz it takes longer than most people live (I dunno about you but I plan on living forever) as with my stance on environmentalism tho, the only thing at risk is us. the earth will go on long after we kill ourselves off. even if it has to work with cockroaches and bacteria after ww3, well it started with less.
twinkies dont forget twinkies! they will survive thru anything....
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:29 PM   #36
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Totally - which is one thing that separates us meat people from other animals -- long term planning. But we're (general - not so much on the site) still bickering about the problem (ahhh! oil), not so much on the solutions. Sometimes, the best decision is in the fact that you continue to make decisions...

You've probably seen me say this in the past... But if we don't regulate ourselves, nature will be so kind and do it for us. And that will be rather unpleasant for us (and the status quo-tians).
it is unfortunate that we bicker on the possible solutions as well. nuclear, or not; which alt fuel for cars, each has its issues; wind power, but @ what cost, etc.

i read recently there is no clear choice...

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ne...nol-gas_2.html
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:44 PM   #37
Registered Member

Yah, Corn Ethanol suffers from the same losses the food production/distribution network does, and has some strong special interest groups pulling for inefficient solutions.

There is a clear choice though, and that is that we need to consider all options as some places just can't grow stuff sustainably (i.e. the desert) but might be able to make lots of renewable energy (i.e. the desert)
Edit: and vice versa
Old 11-28-2007, 04:05 PM   #38
Registered Member

Peak protons b1tch3z. We only have 100000000000000000000000000000000000 years to prepare.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:32 PM   #39
Registered Member

Yah, overpopulation is a big part of the problem. I think about this and philosophically it comes down to quantity of life vs quality of life. I like quality personally and don't think humanity (or any other species) is best served by turning the place into a global mosh pit.

If we had more self control on consuming and breeding we wouldn't really be having these issues. Now we are faced with a market correction. That is a euphamism for lots of dead and dying, think Warsaw on a much larger scale as those families that cannot afford the new cost of living and don't have any infrastructure have to do without.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:56 PM   #40
Supporting Member

kamesama980 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamesama980 View Post
Oh yeah, I like to think of it in terms of rats and cockroaches. But the dude that wrote the book where we go extinct thought that the cockroaches would miss us and not do to well.

The only thing that I think would take the longest for the world to repair is the nuclear energy reactors. Once all the safety controls break down, the core melts its way down into the water table and beyond, right? I wonder if it could melt down far enough to break into the mantle and cause an earth pimple (volcano).

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote