Are you a believer in Peak Oil theory? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Do you believe in the Peak Oil theory?
Yes, I do. 27 87.10%
No, I do not. 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question Are you a believer in Peak Oil theory?

With crude oil prices almost certainly penetrating the $100(US) a barrel mark sooner than later and gasoline selling at about $4.062 a gallon ($1.069 a litre) in Winnipeg Canada... in November (which should be the time of year gas prices are at their lowest) I was wondering if there are believers in the Peak Oil theory on this forum.

Does you think peak oil exists? Is it a hoax? If it does exist, when will we reach it and encounter the negative effects? Have we already reached it? How do you foresee the future of petroleum usage in our future? Do you feel this rise in oil prices will come down drastically in the future?

Poll is private (your name won't be shown with your selection) and thread open to discussion.

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
I believe that there is a finite amount of naturally occurring oil. I don't know if we've reached the peak yet, but that doesn't mean we should stop conserving it as much as we can.

The sooner we can ween ourselves of the old dinosaurs, the better.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
Registered Member

Demand continues to increase but the dinosaurs died off long ago. If we are not at peak oil, we will be soon.

It would be an extremely poor bet to gamble our civilization on the oil fairies making oil forever.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:12 PM   #4
Registered Member

Shoot, we've been burning as much as possible as fast as possible. I would hope we could at least see a peak in conventional reserves after a century or so.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:26 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
If it does exist, when will we reach it and encounter the negative effects?
When? After we pass it, of course

-------

Personally, the Peak oil theory passes a priori criteria - and the theory itself is capable of being backed up by data. And there's evidence of it in small scale production.

Of course, living in a western civilization - I'm more likely to believe in it because our geologists follow the biogenic (fossil fuel) theory of oil production. Which is really where it comes down to. If you believe there is a finite amount of oil (biogenic oil production) - there's an obvious peak when consumption is high enough. If you believe in abiogenic production - no peak, perpetual supply (perhaps not fast enough to support demand).

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
Registered Member

This is something to take seriously folks. It takes about 10 calories of fossil fuels to make 1 calorie of FOOD!
Old 11-26-2007, 07:32 PM   #7
Supporting Member

Peakster -

Yup, but I think the $100/barrel is also a function of the collapsing value of the dollar.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:36 PM   #8
Supporting Member

trebuchet03 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
When? After we pass it, of course

-------

Personally, the Peak oil theory passes a priori criteria - and the theory itself is capable of being backed up by data. And there's evidence of it in small scale production.

Of course, living in a western civilization - I'm more likely to believe in it because our geologists follow the biogenic (fossil fuel) theory of oil production. Which is really where it comes down to. If you believe there is a finite amount of oil (biogenic oil production) - there's an obvious peak when consumption is high enough. If you believe in abiogenic production - no peak, perpetual supply (perhaps not fast enough to support demand).
Are you talking about the Russian theory that oil is being created by geologic forces (i.e. tectonic movement and stuff)? I like the idea of it but I don't have the smarts to judge it one way or another.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:41 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
trebuchet03 -

Are you talking about the Russian theory that oil is being created by geologic forces (i.e. tectonic movement and stuff)? I like the idea of it but I don't have the smarts to judge it one way or another.

CarloSW2
Yep - it's not only the Russians though... The thing is, they've allegedly been putting their theory in practice to find huge domestic reserves. The problem is, western geologists all but laughed at their geologists when they wanted to share information on their theories etc. So now Russia et. al. isn't willing to say anything.

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe View Post
This is something to take seriously folks. It takes about 10 calories of fossil fuels to make 1 calorie of FOOD!
True, but most of those fossil fuels aren't oil. Also why I get irritated whenever I see the "omgz im on mah bikez saving the werldz1" line. I suppose one of these days I'll mature and accept that attitude, just stop caring, something else, or some combo.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote