Best Environmental friendly Oil Companies - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2007, 03:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

Best Environmental friendly Oil Companies

Is that an oxymoron. BP

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
*shrug*

I read an article the other day for my economy v. the environment class stating that BP makes billions for it's "we hate oil image" by selling tons of oil and almost none of the stuff it promotes as its company objectives,

*sigh*

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
Registered Member

Ha! Not only do consumers have to pay for inflated oil, now they have the option of paying to manage some of the externalities, which should be in the price in the first place. Of course, that would put fossil fuels at a significant disadvantage compared to just about every other energy source, but hey... All's fair in externalities and economics. At least, I wish it were.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Supporting Member

zpiloto -

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
Is that an oxymoron. BP
Greenwash
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwash
Quote:
Greenwash (a portmanteau of green and whitewash) is a pejorative term that environmentalists and other critics use to describe the activity of giving a positive public image to putatively environmentally unsound practices. The term first arose in the early 1990s (an early use of the word appeared as the title of an article in the 1991 March or April issue of Mother Jones magazine).

Corporations claim that the promotion of free markets policies, new technology and economic growth are essential to promoting sustainable development, and increasingly claim that they are more environmentally aware. Critics, however, claim that there is little evidence transnational corporations are substantially changing their behavior despite their rhetoric; and they claim that many corporations remain the primary creators of environmentally damaging and unsustainable technologies. Greenwashing is thus a deceptive marketing technique only.
CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote