Buying Extra Fuel at Each Fillup - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

Buying Extra Fuel at Each Fillup

don't know why this just occured to me...

since the price of fuel is going up so rapidly, why not take and fill some gas jugs each time a fillup is required?

let's assume a simple round number illustration:

biweekly fillups of 10 gal as the price goes up $.20 USD= $2.00 saved.

is it worth it?

one negative point: it will be more difficult to track MPG.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
Registered Member

I just did that today (bought an extra 5 gallons of gas) when I filled up.

You are right- it make keeping mpg records more difficult- you have to fill the car first and write the gallons before you start filling the gas cans. I typically use the gas in the cans for the mower or tractor.

If I am taking a long road trip that's far enough to be just out of the total range of my tank (400 miles), I'll take a gas can with me and put a black mark on it at the level of gas in the can. I'll dump the gas from the can into the car's tank before I start home. Then, when I gas up, I'll fill the gas can to to level of the black mark and also fill the car.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
Registered Member

fantastic idea!

perhaps i could pump an exact amount(2.5,5,10gal, or whatever), then pour it without resetting the tripometer(is that right?). then, obviously add that amount to divide by at next fillup.

thanks, didn't think of that!
Old 06-09-2008, 01:36 PM   #4

I have black lines in marker at the appropriate gallon points on my containers. It makes for easy guessing when mixing 2stroke.

It just takes a minute to do it the first time. They have stayed well and can easily be remarked when the need arises. That should be within most folks acu-meter range.
Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
fantastic idea!

perhaps i could pump an exact amount(2.5,5,10gal, or whatever), then pour it without resetting the tripometer(is that right?). then, obviously add that amount to divide by at next fillup.

thanks, didn't think of that!
Yes- so you might end up with a 600 mile fill up on your gas log that shows more gas than your tank can hold.

Note- Sometimes it takes the gas 20 seconds to stop sloshing when you refill the gas can to the black mark.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I haven't specifically filled cans for future use in the car, but I have put an extra few gallons in between fills and I have filled cans when I fill. Here's my strategies for this issue:

- Fill the can on a separate receipt. It only takes ~30 seconds more to have a separate transaction for the can. Save the receipt and add it to the receipt for whichever fill you're going to use it with.

- Marks on the can lose accuracy due to frothing/foaming during fill. If you want to just fill it to an even amount of gallons, watch the pump.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
Registered Member

If you go down the road of filling your gas cans, you better come up with a plan to put that gas into your car and refill the gas cans. Otherwise you will end up with gas that is breaking down, in the cans and then it runs absolutely lousy, at best and at worst their is a residue that plugs up filters, injectors, lines and creates a horrific mess.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Actually you have to wait as long as possible to use the less expensive gas in the can to maximize the savings as the price increases - it should keep a few months if in a temperature stable storage and tightly capped. Then you want to add it to the car when the gas prices is at its highest to maximize the savings.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer View Post
If you go down the road of filling your gas cans, you better come up with a plan to put that gas into your car and refill the gas cans. Otherwise you will end up with gas that is breaking down, in the cans and then it runs absolutely lousy, at best and at worst their is a residue that plugs up filters, injectors, lines and creates a horrific mess.
yes, it is my intention to use them right away. trying to figure if it is worth the hassle. obviously the quicker that gas goes up, the greater the benefit.

on a side note, i tested filling quickly vs slowly since the luxury of comparing 2 jugs side by side presented itself. the slowly filled jug showed a DEFINITE increase in volume, tho slight.

if this was not random, it could be significant for a tank and beyond. they were 1 gal containers BTW.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
yes, it is my intention to use them right away. trying to figure if it is worth the hassle. obviously the quicker that gas goes up, the greater the benefit.

on a side note, i tested filling quickly vs slowly since the luxury of comparing 2 jugs side by side presented itself. the slowly filled jug showed a DEFINITE increase in volume, tho slight.

if this was not random, it could be significant for a tank and beyond. they were 1 gal containers BTW.
An increase in volume?- I don't quite understand- are you saying that the gasoline in the slow filled jug expanded, or that the gas in the fast filled jug lost some volume because it was frothy? (a more likely explanation)