car dancing - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-06-2006, 04:46 PM   #11
Registered Member

Re: that was one of my first

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
that was one of my first reactions too. did some reading about the "making of", though and what they had done was attach a weight INSIDE the tire, near the top. think about that for a second and you'll get it, like i did.
Exactly -- that part throws people off, including when I first saw it. The upwardly rolling tires are indeed weighted at about the 12-to-1-o'clock position on the inside of the wheel so that when they're bumped, the weight of gravity pulls that side downward, and consequently rolls the tire up the hill into the next tire, which is similarly weighted. More Info.

RH77

Old 02-06-2006, 04:58 PM   #12
Registered Member

Re: the only part that looks

Quote:
the only part that looks fake to me is the speakers. i've never seen speakers move that much. but i'm no expert.

as proof of that fact: my car has no radio (they were optional on this car, and i guess the old lady who bought it didn't want one... another spring time project)
That would drive me nuckin' futs. I need to have the radio on nearly all the time -- for news, distract that part of my brain, etc. At least it reduces weight. I didn't know that was even an option -- is that Canada only? I know "redio delete" was available in the early 80's on some domestic cars, but FM-radio is standard on nearly all cars that I know of. The only cars that I know of now are the Subaru STi and the Mitsu Evo-IX RS don't have radios for weight reduction.

RH77

Old 02-06-2006, 05:43 PM   #13
Registered Member

i'm not certain about

i'm not certain about country differences, but i suspect it was an option on all the base model metro/fireflies/suzukiclones.

the weird thing is all the wires are in place, including antenna and 4 speakers. just no radio - an OEM plastic "blank" where the radio should be.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:57 PM   #14
Registered Member

Re: i'm not certain about

Quote:
i'm not certain about country differences, but i suspect it was an option on all the base model metro/fireflies/suzukiclones.

the weird thing is all the wires are in place, including antenna and 4 speakers. just no radio - an OEM plastic "blank" where the radio should be.
I was going to mention that the wires are probably in place, but the speakers are definitely a plus. You could get a decent head unit, or factory style replacement used and plug everything right up pretty easily. Do you take a radio with you when you go on long trips?

RH77
Old 02-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #15
Registered Member

yeah - i take a radio with

yeah - i take a radio with me.

this car is pretty funny. some other things it doesn't have that might surprise you:

- no tach (not too surprising)
- no rear wiper (not too surprising)
- no trip odometer
- no clock
- no remote fuel/hatch release
- and you know that little switch on the door jamb that turns the interior light on & off? it's only got one - on the driver's side. the passenger side has a rubber blank in the hole where the switch should be.

as far as i can tell, the ONLY option that was ordered on this car was the rubber trim along the side to prevent dings.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:48 PM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Geo

Yeah the rear wiper and washer was sorely missed as I had one on my wabbit but not the Geo no back door light switches either. Power locks at 8mph in the front only but there are needed in the rear for the kids only in 12 years I didn't have any. I had a clock on the RADIO that you don't have so that is where the clock went. I had a really nice am/fm cassette player with really great reception that came with mine but then I had the high end 4 door model. Wait until you buy wiper blades - 16" and 18" different on each side on mine. Thre cylinder tachs are hard to find and the trip was a real pain now I have 2 on the xB. Fuel door is not a big deal because you probably can't get a hose into the tank anyway.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:54 PM   #17
Registered Member

my car has all the options.

my car has all the options. I's better to have nothing because it adds a lot more weight.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:22 PM   #18
Registered Member

Re: yeah - i take a radio with

Quote:
yeah - i take a radio with me.

this car is pretty funny. some other things it doesn't have that might surprise you:

- and you know that little switch on the door jamb that turns the interior light on & off? it's only got one - on the driver's side. the passenger side has a rubber blank in the hole where the switch should be.

as far as i can tell, the ONLY option that was ordered on this car was the rubber trim along the side to prevent dings.
Holy guacamole -- how much would a plunger and a wire cost to buy and assemble so the passenger has light??? I've never heard of such cost-cutting. Not to mention, it has to weigh like a few grams. Do you know where your car was assembled -- was it Korea or North America? This is all new to me. I think the car market in the 'States is more competetive and offers lots of standard features in base models, especially anything GM slaps it's logo on. They had ABS standard on all vehicles until a few years ago. Freaks you out when you rent a car and expect it and it's not there.

I fondly recall my stripped-down Civic. I was surprised a new '96 DX Coupe didn't have power steering or A/C -- but it was affordable and new. It got me around the college campus, to the volunteer fire station pretty quickly, and got incredible gas mileage in any condition (close to 40 most of the time). When I moved to KC I had to have A/C installed -- since gets up to 100F some days in August, with high humidity -- I was soaked by the time I got to work. The power steering was fine by me. It just took a LOT of effort to parallel park, but out on the twisties, it was awesome - you could feel everything the car and road were doing together and precisely control cornering. It really handled despite having only one sway bar and around 100-hp. It's too bad someone rear-ended me and nearly totalled it. The insurance co. decided to fix it and the repair shop forgot to put a strut back into place. Still handled great, but it was never the same again. The shop that repaired it was terrible. After I got a half-way decent job, I ended up with a new '99 Civic Si (SiR in Canada) which was, in my opinion, the best car I ever owned -- darnit I miss that car. For Honda fans out there you know what I'm talking about -- the B16A2 engine: 160hp from 1.6L, naturally aspirated with VTEC. Then, the Evo bug bit me, so I sold it. The Evo was a reliability nightmare, but when it ran, it hauled the mail in any weather -- it just wasn't a good commuter car. It was too tempting to speed. Then came marriage. Buh-bye Evo, hello TL. I haven't gotten a ticket since the Evo.

I did get a ticket in Ft. Worth for accidentally turning left onto rightward one way street. No traffic. I realized my error quickly and turned around, but Mr. Motorcycle cop was there to nail the out-of-towner. Rudest cop I've ever met. It was a simple error. I had to go before a judge 30-days later, and plea "deferred adjudication", which meant if I didn't get a ticket for 90-days in Texas, the ticket would drop-off. I still had to pay for court costs. I was in the DFW area every 2-weeks anyway, but that meant I had to watch my speed. The friendliest officer was a Quebecois Provincial Officer. I was in a hurry to get to Montreal airport from somewhere out East in the country, and he politely let me go for going 140kph (yes I'm bad) out on a 4-lane highway. I think the limit was 100. (the Kansas driver's license probably would've wreaked havoc with the driving record database).

Woah have I gone off-topic. Anyways, sorry for "Story Hour", but maybe someone will find it entertaining...

RH77