Car PC data center? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-02-2007, 07:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

Car PC data center?

One thing I'd like to do some time in the future is put together a car pc. There are a few benefits to this, but one that I'm not sure others have tried is using it as an interface to OBDII.

My goal would be to interface the PC to OBDII to display as much information as I can on a small (7 inch or so) LCD as I'm driving. A PC would allow me to translate the data into useful information (ie mpg).

I'd most likely run something like Damn Small Linux on it to go easy on resources.

Besides OBD data, I'd also like to use it as a multimedia center and allow for internet access via my phone. I think those 3 functions are all I'd want out of it.
Does anyone have any tips or good places for me to start?

Thanks,
Matt

Old 12-02-2007, 11:19 AM   #2
Registered Member

Use the search luke!

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:10 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
yea, I have a buddy on another forum that was going to do something similar but he found a hardware setup that was about the size of a box of checks and could run a pentium 1ghz cpu with standard ports and expansion slots for 300-500. Can't remember what it's called but you can probly search for "really small PC" or something like that
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
Supporting Member

kamesama980 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamesama980 View Post
yea, I have a buddy on another forum that was going to do something similar but he found a hardware setup that was about the size of a box of checks and could run a pentium 1ghz cpu with standard ports and expansion slots for 300-500. Can't remember what it's called but you can probly search for "really small PC" or something like that
Here's one :

TC-1000 CAR PC - $570
http://www.carlcd.net/.sc/ms/dd/CAR%...000%20CAR%20PC
Quote:
Description: Lilliput TC-1000 In-Dash Car PC

This Computer can be operated as a Car PC or Home PC with two power supply of 12V and 100-240V AC adapter. Its mechanical structure and electricity input are designed for automobile enviroment. Power wire and 100-240 AC adapter included.

Specifications:
Via Blaxtream TC-1000 with 1 Ghz CPU, 266 Bus (DDR), VGA card, Sound Card and Lan Card on board.
CPU: 1G
Memory: 512MB DDR RAM
Hard Drive; 40 GB Hard Drive-5400 RPM and 8 M Cache
DVD Drive & CD/RW
Bluetooth on Board
Intelligent power control with voltage input of 7V -24 V.
Power Consumption: 30-48 W
4 USB ports: 2 in the front and 2 in the back
Automatically shut down with 20 second delay: when the power of automobile is switched off, the computer is automatically shut down and it has 20 seconds delay to switch off the power supply for the computer.
Dimension: W 6 7/8" X D 7 1/2" X H 2"
CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:06 AM   #5
Registered Member

I am working on very much the same project in my car. Curently I have LinuxICE installed which is a stripped down version of Ubuntu with NGhost installed for a nice front end to handle music/video/gps.

I have a 7" lcd that I put in place of my head unit, the problem I am having right now is that I can just barely see it in the daylight without my sunglasses on . Looks great at night! I have a Lilliput EBY701. I didn't have to actually make any modifications to my dash to fit it in, except for mounting brackets of course.

I have a desktop pc sitting in the trunk as my computer for the moment, though it sucks more power than I want to think about. I keep blowing this 40 amp fuse when trying to recharge the secondary battery and run the computer...

Oh, I have the OBDII interface from scantool.net also. I haven't gotten it set up yet though. I got to the point of using minicom inside linux to see the data being sent out but failed in getting a program to make sense of it .

Here is my thread I started on my project. http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=5233