Carnival cruise lines - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2009, 04:51 AM   #11
Registered Member

i remember the inspiration was the boat leaving at the same time from miami as the boat i was on at the time

Old 05-12-2009, 07:04 AM   #12
Registered Member

it was a nice boat. it had a mini golf on the top and a huge slide in the kids area. it was remodeled in 2004 I think it was put into service in 1996 but I may be a little off on that date.

given this new information (about all the other cruise lines following suit) I don't really look down on carnival as much as I did. I do wish that there was some sort of guarantee. carnival does have a guarantee but to take advantage of it, you have to act before you get to the first port-of-call.

I have always had a good time on carnival cruises. I may go on another one. I will wait until all the swine flu scare dies down though. maybe next year.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:09 AM   #13
Registered Member

I've been trying to work out how I feel about their actions and I'm still a bit conflicted. It's not like it was their idea to cancel at the last minute. I certainly see where you're coming from, though.

Almost makes me wonder if there should be a form of insurance for such things.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:33 AM   #14
Registered Member

I actually did get insurance (which the travel agents always recommend). it gives you a full refund if you don't go on the cruise regardless of the reason.

the minute I stepped on the boat, that insurance didn't matter.

and actually it was their idea to cancel (I'm not saying it was a bad idea). I am not sure the organization (I don't think it was the CDC but can't remember who) were making recomendations at the time that you don't do any "non-essential travel to mexico". it was just a recomendation but then the SUE factor kicks in after that.

I think it could have been handled better but they were between a rock and a hard place. as a cruiser, I feel we should have gotten more but as a manager of CCL (carnival cruise lines) they have to look at the whole picture and you are right about that. it would have been a huge loss in revenue. there were several boats going to mexico when they cancelled all their trips.

if there were specific insurance for missed ports of call, I would purchase it (depending on price of course). that may be something to look into.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:40 AM   #15
Registered Member

My ex wife had a trip to Barbados all arranged and fell seriously ill a week before (bedridden for more than a year). Lost almost all her pre-paid arrangements. They wouldn't budge an inch. Guess she should've gotten some insurance! I almost never travel so I'm pretty ignorant of such things. Good to know.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 05-12-2009, 08:19 AM   #16
Registered Member

Out of curiosity, what sort of payout and cost would such port of call insurance be worth to you?

co de pen den cy

Old 05-12-2009, 08:43 AM   #17
Registered Member

I have always heard that the port tax and port fees accounted for close to $100 per person per port. I would think that if it were a descent percentange of that (maybe 10-20%) it would be reasonable.

I think the insurance we got for the entire cruise was only 50-100 dollars (that is per person though).

why? thinking of starting a business?

Old 05-12-2009, 09:29 AM   #18
Registered Member

Nah, just trying to put the inconvenience into perspective. Idle curiosity.

co de pen den cy

Old 05-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #19
Registered Member

I have gone from completely ticked, screw carnival, never dealing with them again.....

to, well, it is policy and that is more than others did (other cruise lines) I have had 3 other enjoyable experiences. might as well give it another try.

another family that went with us on the cruise (first time cruisers) has already put a deposit on a cruise for july of '10 (2010). they saw the potential of a good vacation despite the experience and maybe I should do the same.