Civic CRX - How Do They Do In Snow? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2007, 05:53 AM   #1

Civic CRX - How Do They Do In Snow?

I haven't had a FWD car since about 1985. I remember it as being pretty good in the snow, but I've had extremely capable 4x4s since 1988 and am used to not having to worry very much about snow.

Do Civics have what it takes to be my winter driver?

Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
I've had seven Hondas in the snow now. The driveability has ranged from good to totally awesome! All the years I've owned have ranged from 86-94 now.

The good handling ones have had 175/70/13 all seasons on them. The awesome handling on was a 91 CRX si that I swapped a B18 motor (Integra motor) into along with a gear type limited slip differential from Quaife . I also ran Winterforce winter tires in a 155/80/13 size. That CRX could out perform all the 4x4 trucks in the snow, lol.

What size tires and brand are you running now on the CRX?

If you can afford it, dropping down to a 155/80/13 in the front will give you better traction whether you use all seasons or snow tires.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
Registered Member

What width 13s would be needed to work with those 155/80s.

On my last 3 Hondas I had some snow tires just on the fronts on a 14 inch and it made them handle 4-5 inches of snow with ease. The only issues I have with them is when they run out of clearance, that's when they get annoying. If you're driving on plowed roads, you should have no issue.

I've seen many 4wds spin in circles where my Integra was fine...it's always fun to see that! Two winters ago I was using all 4 snow tires, and that made the car even more amazing in the snow.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:13 AM   #4

I have the 175/70/13 all seasons on the thing now. The rear are Douglas and the front are Goodyear Viva2. Both from WalMart.

The Douglas look to be a little better for snow...more sipes. I'll air them down a bit as I go along to see what the best pressure is for the conditions. They don't plow our intersections around work and I've pulled MANY small cars out with the truck. Heck, I've even pulled out two articulated delivery trucks with my pickup.

I can always drive the truck when it gets deep. Just wondering how far to take the experiments. I'll be sure to keep a tow rope in the car for just-in-case situations.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Danronian - The 155/80/13 will fit on a stock Honda 13" steel wheel or even the Honda 13" aluminum rims with ease.

Mr. Incredible - You should be fine with that size tire. The winterforce tires have increased in prices (due to crude oil prices), but are still considered cheap price wise. A quick check on eBay shows about $35 per tire for 155/80/13 and prices of $35 - 40 elsewhere.

Quote:
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:08 PM   #6

Thanks. That's pretty much what I intended to do. I have 20 yrs experience being the guy that pulls people out, I just don't know anything about being the guy that GETS pulled out. Too unpredictable.

Do they make lift kits for Civics?
Old 11-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #7
Driving on E

we had a 87 Honda CRX that did amazingly in the snow. never had a problem.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:50 PM   #8
Registered Member

Oh man, thanks for refreshing my memory 'clench. Sometimes the best thing to do is go find a big empty snow covered parking lot and test the car under varying speeds and cornering, maybe even take a shovel with you and make some piles and drive through until you find a depth of snow that gets hard to traverse.

Quote:
Old 11-09-2007, 08:40 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
it is good to think about this prior to our first ice or snow storm of the season cuz every year most everyone thinks they can keep barreling along like it's still summertime
I always look forward to the first snowstorm of the year. I go out on a parking lot on a hill so I can see the highway. It's a 65 MPH highway that is dead straight/level then there is a sweeping turn that brings you about 90?. It is barely sloped for turning. You can take it at 65MPH in dry weather, but when it's snowy/wet there is always someone in the ditch because of thier own stupidity.

You think people in MN would remember the snow and cold!?!?

Quote:
Old 11-12-2007, 04:13 AM   #10
Registered Member

Is Nebraska flat? If so, a CRX should serve just fine before the snow gets deep enough for your belly to start dragging.

Also, though I'm sure you are aware of this since you've had FWD cars before, but it's been over 20 years so I'll include this reminder: easy on the gas in the corners. I only mention that because about 5 winters ago I got my first AWD car and was surprised by the difference in the way it responds. When I go around a corner in my AWD car I find that if I get completely out of the throttle (the way I was accustomed to driving from many snowy winters with FWD) the car tends to oversteer. When I stay in the gas the car tracks nice and straight, maybe with a hint of drift, but always under control.

Just be aware that if this is how your 4x4 reacts, you may need to adjust your driving style a bit. Enjoy the snow.

cafn8 is offline   Reply With Quote