Confessions of an Economic Hitman - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-14-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

Confessions of an Economic Hitman

This book tells the back story of what has gone in with various incidents in Central America and the Middle East. The author, John Perkins, was a major cog in the machine that has continued to allow the US ongoing access to cheap oil and other natural resources - all while fattening the bank accounts of companies like Haliburton and Bechtel.

Confessions of an Economic Hitman is an eye opener that will change the way you look at how the US maintains it's dominance over the rest of the world and lifestyle for it's citizens. The impact of OPEC and the international oil conglomerates are no small part of this issue, and 'The World Bank' will take on a completely new meaning to you once you understand how they really operate.

Hell, this book might make you feel guilty for driving on petro-fuels at all!

Here's a good interview with the author for starters:

http://www.democracynow.org/article..../11/09/1526251

Be sure to check out the follow-up book "The Secret History of the American Empire: Economic Hit Men, Jackals, and the Truth about Global Corruption" as well. ($15 at Costco the last time I was there.)

If you aren't pissed off or guilt ridden by the end, you probably don't have a soul.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
Registered Member

I read Confessions of an Economic Hitman a couple of years ago and have seen John Perkins in a couple of interviews and on C-Span when he was promoting the book at a bookstore.

The book really opened my eyes to the reason for our imperialist quests this century...which is to rob poor countries of their natural resources for our benefit and leave them burdened with unpayable financial debts. It's no wonder the Latin American countries, behind Hugo Chavez, have begun to band together to reverse the US policies that have kept Venezuala and other South American countries perpetually poor and in debt for the last 40 years. And also why the US labels him a dictator and "dangerous" in an effort to isolate him and destabilize his government.

Anyway, it's a good read that, if I were a history teacher, I would require as mandatory reading for all my students.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
Registered Member

You'd have some ignorant little brat go home and tell daddy that his teacher is a 'Lib' though. Oh the crime of being a socially aware individual and attempting to impress that on one's students!

'Iraq for Sale' is on Starz Cinema right now and it's not helping my attitude much. :P

(It will be on again tommorrow at 8:05PM Pacific time for anybody interested.)

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:47 PM   #4
Registered Member

Excellent book, and I haven't even read it! It is actually on my list though, and I just haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I do know the general idea behind it though.

Oh, and just TALK to someone who lived in a "third world country" that was "helped" by the World Bank. No one has kind feelings for that legal thief of a corporation.
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrick View Post
Oh, and just TALK to someone who lived in a "third world country" that was "helped" by the World Bank. No one has kind feelings for that legal thief of a corporation.
Yup....Paul Wolfowitz, one of the leading architects of the Iraq "War" just stepped down (in disgrace), as President of the World Bank a couple of weeks ago. Now he's off to the American Enterprise Institute, a neo-con thinkless tank, to do some damage in Africa.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:35 AM   #6
Supporting Member

Snax -

Good post. I haven't read the book but I have heard interviews on Democracy Now and other Indy media.

I think I have a pretty good idea of what has been done in my name.

Attachment 724

CarloSW2
Attached Images

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote