Cue up "Pomp and Circumstance"... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2006, 06:56 PM   #11
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
To all those that have graduated, I'm sure you know how I feel. To all those still in school - hang in there, graduation will come. Don't rush it...enjoy your stay in school. I don't regret for one instant taking 6 years to get my bachelor's...best damn 6 years of my life.
i never really felt that great about it. i knew then i am going to go for my masters as soon as i find someone to pay for it

Old 07-25-2006, 05:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Got a little under one year left for my degree in electrical engineering. Only 4 years. I ain't got money to throw around.

a) You spend a few months or years under your parents' roof looking for a job as they ***** at you. Yes, it does happen to people that chose something practical instead of some lame liberal arts degree, quite often.
b) When you finally get the job, you get a drug test. They want to find evidence of certain diseases so they can bar you from insurance coverage, and perhaps sell that DNA.
c) You work 60 hours a week for the pay of 40 beause your employer put you on a salary and doesn't have to pay you overtime.
d) If you complain, you may get fired and blacklisted. Word travels around the corporate world.
Congrats on graduating soon...EE is crazy sh!t.

a) won't apply. I've got a job and am on the path to home ownership
b, c, d) perks of a small company - no drug tests. Yes, I'll be salary, but they TELL people to go home at 8 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomauto
it only gets harder from freshmen year
So true. It's the opposite of high school. With the attitude you have, you'll make it. Keep your eye on the prize, and don't let a few bad grades (or repeated classes in my case) get you down.

Quote:
Ahh, political indoctrination. My university is a private and Catholic. So naturally, they were indoctrinating the engineers with Ayn Rand right-wing BS.
Funny...I guess the reason we were spoon fed left-wing BS is because we're a public institution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Congrats DaX! After 7 years and 3 different majors (also took 2 years off to travel abroad) I graduated 1 1/2 years ago. I was going to take a year or so off and go into graduate school, but I've enjoyed not going to school so much I might just make a habit of not going back to school

I think life got about 500x easier when school ended.
Thanks. Yeah, I've been through four majors, so I know how it is. I've thought about grad school, but it's definately on hold. I want to enjoy life a little while.

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:43 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
I don't remember any political indoctrination during my 4 years. I guess I got lucky.
How old are you?
Mighty Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:56 PM   #14
Registered Member

I am 41. But I went to college late, from 93 to 97, University of Pittsburgh.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:09 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Ahh, political indoctrination. My university is a private and Catholic. So naturally, they were indoctrinating the engineers with Ayn Rand right-wing BS.

"You can go wherever you want to go. Don't get worried if you get laid off, that's how the free market works. You'll surely find someplace else. Engineers can go anywhere."

Or how about "Lockheed Martin and Boeing have this nation's best interests at heart. They'd be excellent companies to work for."
Wow, I'd never heard of that. I got the standard politically correct left wing BS. But the Ayn Rand stuff is BS too.

Quote:
Again, I mention the cycle life of NiMH batteries. 1,200 to 80% discharge published by Cobasys, 1,750 cycles to 100% discharge published by Team Fate at UC Davis.
So basically this guy is wrong?
Quote:
Everyone in the classroom was looking at me like I was some sort of freak. It was awesome. I was 18 at the time.
That's funny as hell!

It used to piss me off how moronic most college kids are. They NEVER question anything the professor says. Oftentimes, the prof is wrong as you just demonstrated. But the average student just sits there vacantly, absorbing this "knowledge" so that they can repeat it uncritically at some later date.
Mighty Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:53 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Quote:
So basically this guy is wrong?
Not necessarily. He's just speaking of the chemistry in general.

Perhaps I should clarify I was referring specifically to the Ovonic NiMH battery. There is a rather large variance. The Ovonics mostly mitigated the limitations mentioned in the article. Their main problem was overheating, which usually occured when EV1s were pushed to their limits in extreme weather conditions.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:21 AM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
One thing that will get you down when you finally get a job with a high pay is the amount of taxes that hit you with. You may realize that it would have been more profitible to have worked for those 4 years making less and getting taxed less than waiting and starting with a higher paying job. Another thing is to plan on changing jobs every 3 to 5 years or else your pay will not increase much.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:25 AM   #18

Well, just walked out of my last final. 72 hours until I walk!
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:12 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
Well, just walked out of my last final. 72 hours until I walk!
Make sure you post pics of your graduation.

Education is hard for me. I'll cry with happiness when I receive my college diploma.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:20 AM   #20
*shrug*

Aww, graduation, I'm getting all teary! Good luck, m8.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote