Damn thieves!! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #11
Registered Member

Re: Damn thieves!!

I thought I did but formatted the computer for years since then....

Old 10-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
Registered Member

Re: Damn thieves!!

FWIW...In dealing with the insurance company, you probably could do/have done better...

20-some years ago, my wife was driving our recently purchased $500 1979 Chevette. She was waiting for traffic to clear, preparing to turn into a parking lot. Brake lights and turn signal were operating normally. Woman came up behind her, didn't see brake lights and turn signal, hit her in back end. Sprung the bumper, and pushed in back end of the car enough to jam the left rear door, and block left rear suspension from operating. Wife needed chiropractor for about six months.

Wife talked to a lawyer. Won't go into her injury, but here is what was said about the car: Insurance company (other driver's) claimed car as totaled. Wanted to give very little (less than what I paid) for car. Lawyer said to get several ads for similar cars, showing what they were selling for, and give to insurance company. Average advertised price of a 1979 Chevette in 1988 was about $1200. Insurance company finally offered $992 for the car to take it away, or $900 if we kept it.

I chose the latter, bent the car back into shape with the bumper jack, replaced the bumper, and drove the car until 1995, when I sold it for $300.

Moral of the story: Show the insurance company what the car is actually selling for (the VX seems to go for several times blue-book). You may be able to get something closer to what the car is actually worth.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote