Dash Cam videos. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2019, 11:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

Dash Cam videos.

I love watching US dash cam footage, and have the impression that driving in the US must be only slightly less dangerous than driving in Russia/Eastern Europe. UK dash cam footage is boring in comparison. UK videos seem to be mostly near misses and swearing.
Many of the accidents seem to be down to the legality of overtaking on either side (undertaking as it is known this side of the pond). I also think the UK traffic light system, with the Red, Red and Amber, Green, sequence, reduces the chance of getting hit by someone trying to sneak through as the lights turn red.
I know, from my experience of driving in California (and the movies), that US tyres squeal very readily on turns. Whether that is a function of the road surface or tyre compound (or both), I don't know, but if tyres squeal here in the UK, something is going on.
I would love to read what US drivers think of the footage posted.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #2
Registered Member

I became somewhat obsessed with dash cam footage from all over the world after my last accident, I found it intruiging to see how accidents can happen and the factors involved. Many are actually caused by a bad manoeuvre that then triggers rage, something we'll thankfully never experience once self driving cars become the norm. I actually had someone pull out in front of me and smash my Clio, all caught on cam, although I never uploaded the footage. I also have saved footage of another accident in March where a young driver took a roundabout at high speed and spun out, smashing into the barrier and setting off the airbags. I'm just waiting a few months before I decide to upload it...

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:18 PM   #3
Registered Member

There is no doubt about it, eight lane urban roads, something we have very few of, are a recipe for disaster, especially with multiple turn lanes.
What does amaze me is the number of crashes at traffic lights. I never cross a set of green lights without checking for traffic ignoring the red. I always treat a green light like a Give Way/Yield, until I see different.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:02 PM   #4
Out of Fuel

People are really just less observant, nowadays.
EddWick is offline   Reply With Quote