Do Sales Merit An Auto Bailout? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

View Poll Results: Do you plan to buy a new vehicle in the near future?
NO WAY, i always buy used! 11 61.11%
ABSOLUTELY, i'm a patriot(gotta stimulate the economy) 2 11.11%
MAYBE, if prices dip below $10k 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #21

We just bought a new Prius. It was going to happen no matter what since the wife's old car was on its last legs.

There's no love lost between me and the unions, gov't, or the mfg's, so I'd just as soon they all be at the mercy of natural selection. Still, there's a lot of jobs sustained by the industry. Since none of them asked me what I think I have no sway over what happens.

In the end, I don't want my tax money wasted. Fat lot 'o good that does me...

Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:36 PM   #22
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Incredible View Post
I don't want my tax money wasted.
Is there some other use for tax money?

Old 01-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #23
Registered Member

Pick the cheapest car you can buy today in the US. Make it profitably in the Big 3 factories, with 25% fewer parts than any other car, while maintaining safety, crashworthiness, and reliability.

Thats my concept, and it really is doable. If gas stays cheap drive whatever you wish, but if OPEC decides to go back to the extortion routine, then we can shut them out of the supply system, at least for the US.

Think of the vehicle I am describing as a comfortable small sedan, that is also the best weapon we have to prevent Cartel extortion of our National Wealth.

We don't need to shoot them (Islamic Radicals or any other enemies), we just need to choke off the capital resources they will use to finance attacks on our Country and Citizens.

The money saved will go a long way towards financing much of the deficit spending we are presently contemplating.

regards
gary
Old 01-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #24
Registered Member

i think if the members posting in this thread were here to vote, there'd be a landslide in favor of NOT buying new...

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=285
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:11 AM   #25
Registered Member

It is my understanding that the union is taking paycuts in the next contract, which goes into effect either 2010 or 2011.

As another poster said, it would be a bad time to let one of them fail. Ford is in decent shape, having started their restructuring a couple years ago. They don't need the loan, but are worried about being able to survive the ripple if Chrysler or GM go under.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
As another poster said, it would be a bad time to let one of them fail.
no question! however, it would be "badder" or "baddest case scenario" if they are thrown a bone and go belly up anyway.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #27
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
no question! however, it would be "badder" or "baddest case scenario" if they are thrown a bone and go belly up anyway.
That's where I disagree...throw them the bone, let them tread water for a year or two and then go belly up. At that point hopefully the economy will have recovered a little and can take the hit.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #28
Registered Member

we'll agree to disagree then.

what is not deniable is that new car sales were overinflated BEFORE our current recession. many bought new cars that shouldn't have. sound familiar(housing)?

point being that work force, benefits, salaries, etc must be reduced. even when and if the economy recovers, new car sales might not, and really should not, return to previous #s.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #29
Registered Member

so far, the majority, is a firm no. i listened to clark howard today. he is still preaching against debt of course. when will some people get it?
Old 01-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #30
Registered Member

one guy I was listening to (can't remember his name) he wrote a book about getting out of debt, was talking about the "owe it to yourself" mentality.

that has gotten a lot of people. I have worked hard, so now I deserve a big honkin' SUV regardless of the cost. and it is much easier to get an auto loan than other loans. that may have changed recently because of the economic situation.

I will admit, I was right there with them. I had 3 vehicles and thinking of getting a 4th. though the 4th was going to be a smart car. this was before my daughter came along and before we knew about it. I have since sold my truck which puts me to 2 vehicles and gotten a refund on the smart reservation program. I have the payment to the element sitting on the kitchen table and plan to pay it off this month.

(*edit* that will put me at NO car payments)

I think the big thing is priority. I know my priorities have changed in the last 6 months or so. I would assume that many other peoples have as well (at least I hope they have)

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote