Environmentally Friendly Lawn Care - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

Environmentally Friendly Lawn Care

Environmentally Friendly Lawn Care: if there is such a thing.

I haven't used any lawn treatments this year (Nitrogen-based fertilizer) or excessive watering. I just can't justify it environmentally. But, the grasses are in a state of deterioration.

Unfortunately, the yard shows it. So, the entire thing is a mess. The back neighbor built a wall up to the property line (into the natural rain drainage swale), and the one next to him waters like mad. The result: a marsh and dead vegetation on my side.

In the front: grass is planted on limestone gravel and clay from construction 3 years ago. Back yard: excessive heat and direct sunlight on a slight hill -- also very clay-like soil.

Luckily, the small tree in front has gotten lots of care and appears to be the healthiest in the neighborhood.

So, what to do? Are environmentally friendly lawn care options viable? Something should probably be done before Winter sets-in, or else it may get to the point of a codes violation next Spring

I'd love to collect the run-off from the excessive watering neighbor, and use it for myself . I might have to dig a French Drain with a pump, but there are lots of electrical, cable, and tel-comm lines in the soggy area .

Meh, what to do...

RH77

Old 10-10-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
*shrug*

Get yourself a couple 55 gallon drums from the pepsi plant and set up a little rainwater collection/watering system. It'll be cheap, effective, and you can combat those silly droughts MO gets in the summer.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
You know someone thought of this... on Instructables

Switch over to eco friendly detergents and you'll kill two birds with one stone unfortunately, that might not be a quick installment - and if your micro controller knowledge is equal to mine (1&#37, that's another hindrance (unless you make it more manual like) :/

Rain Barrels are a good idea (if you can).

Planting shade should prevent the grass from roasting... Xeriscaping is nice, but then you lose the use of that lawn area.

------
Do you compost? That's a pretty easy way to recycle organic waste and provide some nitrogen....

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:54 PM   #4
Registered Member

my whole front yard is Zero-scaped. The lawn got torn out and now i dont have to mow it the roots coming from the tree were a pain and its on a hill..
Ive also got 2 garbage cans hooked up under the gutter spout, and it works when we DO get rain...
We've also got a compost set up.
hmm.. what else...
Gearshredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:09 PM   #5
Registered Member

I don't think monocultures are ever a good idea, so maybe adding some more stuff to the mix can help everything out? I kinda enjoy having no lawn.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:56 PM   #6
Registered Member

i use ivy, around the 2 trees in the backyard. this saves me mowing sq yards. and the gas that i used to mow that area.

ffvben is offline   Reply With Quote