fixing a/c on a 1997 cavalier - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #11
Registered Member

Does the compressor stay on? Or does it just cycle on and off all of the time?

Feel the condenser (in front of the radiator)- does it get hot?

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #12
Registered Member

when I say that the compressor comes on, I am going by the clutch engaging. that was the symptom of their being no pressure on the high pressure side. I didn't really put much effort in it last time I messed with it (probably a few years ago).

I will check the condensor tomorrow sometime. it is about midnight here right now so no going outside (the wife would kill me)

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #13

I had to replace the compressor on my cav last year. I did everything in my driveway. Harbor Freight has a vacuum pump for about $12 and an A/C manifold for about $40. If you have an air compressor, you can pull a vacuum on the system to recharge it correctly.

If it hasn't worked in four years, you may want to replace the orifice tube and flush the system. Just get a can of A/C Flush and spray it in the high side until it comes out of the tube going into the drier (you will want to remove this too), let it sit for a few minutes and blow it out with an air compressor. Hook up the vacuum and let it run for about a half hour. If it holds a vacuum for about ten minutes you don't have a leak.

I'm not A/C certified, but I know it worked for me. It has been about a year and it is cold. Hope this helps.
Ratman667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:22 AM   #14
Registered Member

I'm seriously thinking of abandoning the idea since I have been without a/c for this long and just calling it a day on the deal.

I have been contemplating replacing the thing for a while now. it doesn't make a lot of sense to put all that effort into something I may replace in less than a year. that being said, I always go through this phase. I have almost replaced that car close to a dozen times.

I had the idea of getting my wife a minivan and taking her element. the 4-door hatch back yaris, the smart, the mini, the volvo (s40), the old corvette...etc.

not really sure what I am going to do right now but it's the 4th. everyone have fun and do it safely. fireworks really sting.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote