Ford scrappage scheme. - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #41
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
Picked up a 2001 Toyota Echo today for $850. 16 years old and still capable of great mileage if driven properly, low 50s US-60 Brit. Just under 200k miles, right quarter banged up in front of the wheel well. Needs right outer CV boot, right rear shock and some other minor things. Undercarriage looks like new, engine compartment dry, no leaks, amazing for a 17 year old car. Tires are new, drives good with a little bunny hop for a clutch disc swap, probably a cheap disc.

Manual steering, factory air, probably needs a little juice.

I had one before, without AC and there was no way to practically add an AC after market.

Made in Japan.
US$850 for ANY any 200k Toyota, sounds like a fair deal, Gary.

How's the interior look? A car buddy, who was a salesman for an exotic car dealership, said when buying a used car, make sure the interior is in top notch condition. That way you won't ever regret putting $$$ into it for repairs. The exterior and mechanical problems can ALWAYS be addressed, but replacing cracked / worn / ripped interior parts is much harder to do.

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:13 PM   #42
Registered Member

The interior will clean up almost perfect. Only issue is a hole in the "carpet" drivers side where the clutch foot's heel rests. A little padding patch and a floor mat (new set came with the car) and it's fine.

The body damage may be repairable, but it would be easier to do a front section of the quarter panel and a used passengers door, if I could pick up both for under $200, but that is basically cosmetic. I'll see if I can get it lined up good enough for bondo first.

When they get this age and mileage, I like the fewest options possible. Still has factory air and a factory radio with CD and cassette player. The antenna is powered by your left arm LOL, reach out the window and adjust it with your analog hand, he he.

Manual windows and locks. I think it has power steering, wish it didn't.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:56 PM   #43
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
What's not clear is if the cars traded in have to be scrapped as per the old scheme.
Ford and Vauxhall's schemes scrap the cars. The others do not. Obviously the older, clapped out cars will be scrapped, but those that still have a resale value will be sold on.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:03 PM   #44
Registered Member

And apparently, depending on which manufacture you buy from, they will still give you the trade in price if its worth more than the scrappage deal price. So you would presumably get the few thousand scrappage discount, plus whatever your car is worth. Car sales in the UK have slowed significantly in the last month or two.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:47 PM   #45
Registered Member

Just passed my local Ford dealer and in pride of place, front middle of the forecourt, they have a skip with a 2002 Renault Clio sitting in it. Nice bit of advertising.