Found this on Craigslist "Free Stuff" section - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Found this on Craigslist "Free Stuff" section

Quote:
This is a 1972 Ford 200 engine. Straight six pulled from a 1966 Mustang. Was running when pulled out. Yours for the taking you just need to remove.
Thanks
Hmm....small straight six plus tall gears == big FE? Anyone know how the torque is on that engine? I could conceivably put it in my Buick, though I'd feel like a jerk putting a Ford engine in it...

Old 03-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

no, as light as your Buick is I think you need to put a 455 in it...

I've been tempted to put a 455 in mine, as an optional engine in 1981 for the Regal was the Pontiac 301 which was built on the same block as the 455, so I could use stock parts to hook it up and have it look like a Regal with a stock 301 under the hood.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
Registered Member

heck pick it up and sell it!!! i would lol
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
No 455 for me, my Buick is not a fastmobile, it's a Grandpamobile.

I wouldn't sell it...for one thing, I doubt there's much demand. For another, it would be jerky, the Free Stuff is for people who want to give stuff to someone who will use it.

Sometime in the last few months, either here or on another site, someone mentioned that the reason my VW pulls smooth even when WOT@idle is because it's an I5 and there's power stroke overlap -- there's never a moment where there's no power stroke happening. If I understand correctly, to get that in a V engine it'd have to be a V10. OTOH, a straight six or straight eight ought to be just what I want; and I remembered reading lots of opinions of a straight six that came stock in a full-size pickup being no speed demon but indestructible and torquey (I'm pretty sure that's a Ford too)...

Anyway, my brain is stuck on the inline-5/6/8 idea and I was pretty happy to see that for free. I wish I had experience and knew how it would go together.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
Registered Member

Any number of cylinders greater than the number of strokes in the combustion process can fit that description. A three cylinder two stroke has "power stroke overlap", as does any 5, 6, 8, 9, 10 cylinder four stroke engine.
A "six stroke" engine, with added scavenging intake and exhaust movements, would require 7 or more cylinders to achieve this purported benefit of "power stroke overlap".
There were a few flat crank four stroke straight eights, only two throws, built in the early 20's that were in effect tandem fours, with two simultaneous power strokes occuring each 180 degrees of crank rotation. These were shaking beasts, unlike the more common square cranks with four throws (straight 8 or V8) with one power pulse each 90 degrees of crank rotation.
The main reason for the smoothness of the inline 5 is that there is no point in the crank's rotation where all the pistons are stopped (TDC and BDC) followed by all moving at maximum speed 90 degrees later. This transition of momentum that makes 4 cylinder 4 stokes the most difficult to make smooth. The five has the crank throws offset by 72 degrees, with a power pulse each 144. No only is there less interval between the power impulse compared to a four, but the fact that the cumulative piston speed is steady really helps.
There is a reason that huge displacement radial engines all has odd numbers of cylinders, smoothness.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
Site Team / Moderator

Yeah, HC, a friend of mine had a Ford pickup with a straight 6 in it years ago. The old Dodge slant 6 that they put in the Darts and Volares was a fantastic engine as well.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
It has good specs for a low-revving city machine
HP: 120@4400
TQ: 190@2400
Bore/Stroke: 3.68/3.13
Compression: 9.2:1
Old 03-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks for the education Lug_Nut, that makes sense.

dkjones96, I tried to find those specs but I failed.