Frivolous Law Suits - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

Frivolous Law Suits

this kind of thing burns me...http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2...l.html?cid=rss

it's a waste of tax payer money and court time! BTW, i've ridden this attraction, and it does of course have the health disclaimer at the entrance of the ride.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Registered Member

sigh stupid people...

there have been ALOT of stupid lawsuits.

like the guy who sued a lawnmower company because he tried using the lawnmower as a hedge trimmer, bent down grabbed the deck and his fingers got cutoff. He sued and won because the owners manual said he couldn't use it as a hedge trimmer.

thats one of the reasons why new lawnmowers have a huge *** manual and 80 stickers saying don't put foot hand whatever here only start it via this way and 10 pages of legal crap in the owners guide.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
Banned

haha yea court is evil
Old 04-16-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
Site Team

I still think that in every lawsuit, the loser should have to pay the winner's legal fees. THAT would get rid of 95% of lawsuits in this country. (And, by the way, bring healthcare costs way down)

-BC
Old 04-16-2010, 02:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
sigh stupid people...

there have been ALOT of stupid lawsuits.

like the guy who sued a lawnmower company because he tried using the lawnmower as a hedge trimmer, bent down grabbed the deck and his fingers got cutoff. He sued and won because the owners manual said he couldn't use it as a hedge trimmer.

thats one of the reasons why new lawnmowers have a huge *** manual and 80 stickers saying don't put foot hand whatever here only start it via this way and 10 pages of legal crap in the owners guide.
Your argument would hold more (actually, SOME) water if it were true, which it isn't, of course.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #6

The thing you guys forget, is big corporations have full-time legal staff, and the small litigant (you) is always fighting an uphill battle against more money, better attorneys, time, etc. Forcing us to pay legal costs, and limiting liability (two favorite conservative positions) stacks the deck against you even more.

BTG whines about a waste of taxpayer money. Huh?? Where in his example is taxpayer money involved, other than to provide the court services? It sounds like you guys want to strip away your own constitutional rights to fair trials.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:10 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
Your argument would hold more (actually, SOME) water if it were true, which it isn't, of course.
ahh well i just heard it from one of my professors (sounds like the tales been around for awhile so he prolyl heard it long ago lol)

still could see some retard doing that tho i remember one of our aincent lawnmowers didnt have any warning labels. hell to start it you had to put your foot on the deck (with your other foot very close on the ground near the deck) and pull the rope straight up where the handle was maybe 2 inches away from the mesh screen over the flywheel dunno how many times i got skinned knuckles from that damn thing
Old 04-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
BTG whines about a waste of taxpayer money. Huh?? Where in his example is taxpayer money involved, other than to provide the court services? It sounds like you guys want to strip away your own constitutional rights to fair trials.
typical of your short sighted view. you already answered part of the equation(court services), and since you can't figure out the rest as obvious as it is...

yes court costs--the greater frequency of bogus suits, the more court paid employees are needed. if i may digress, inmates(btw, expanding past the courtroom) are given waaaay to many benefits supported by tax revenue.

what of lost time and subsequent lost money in regard to jurors' time served? jurors=tax payer.

absolutely, corp attorneys and costs are figured into goods and services, but just like taxation, the consumer ultimately pays the "extra" what ever extra costs are entailed. if you think this isn't true, look into big corps workers' comp insurance.

i could go on, but it's pointless--real world vs idealism...they are not synonymous, nor are they compatible.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
Registered Member

and of vetteowner's post...THAT story may or may not be real, but the point is factual. many labels have been added/changed in order to combat frivolous lawsuits, but more specifically the ignorance of the consumer!
Old 04-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
what of lost time and subsequent lost money in regard to jurors' time served? jurors=tax payer.
Last time I was called into jury duty I was paid $30/day. $30/day * 3 days lost from work = $90.

$30? They shouldn't even bother paying for $30. Who goes to work to make $30/day?

Closed Thread