Gassavers.org Stickers - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2006, 10:20 AM   #31
Driving on E

Re: stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
Hey photoshop is not the way to make a sticker - you want to use a drawing program not a photo editing program. Illustrator - Autocad - Coreldraw - Micrographics Designer all use vector drawing for the fonts so that they scale and fill in at the printer resolution whatever that may be so you get crisp clear sharp lines.
Actually, starting at photoshop 7 the fonts were vector. They can easily be imported to illustrator if need be.

DaX, be sure to ask about colors. While we all seem to love black font, I'm pretty certain it would be nearly invisible on most cars. Does anyone have a problem with white lettering?

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:25 AM   #32

Yeah, my last post asked

Yeah, my last post asked about color. I'm going with a white sticker. I'm pretty sure varying the colors won't be a big deal if someone wants a different color, as long as the stickers are solely one color [i.e. - the second line of text is not a different color than the first].

I currently have a silverish grey sticker from them on my car reppin' the old car club I was in.

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:20 AM   #33
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
colors

Hey are we talking white letters on clear for the windows?? That will work but I have a white car so it will not work on my white bumper which is fine with me. Actually I have printed full color on clear reversed so you stick them on the inside of the glass and the color is protected from the UV so it lasts - only problem is my xB has really dark tinted windows in back.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:49 PM   #34
Registered Member

I imagined the Font best as White

I imagined the Font best as White on the clear background. As for tinted windows, I have a suggestion.

When election time comes around, I don't want to put a sticker on my car, and try to remove it after they lose, or have it on there for eternity, so my solution:

I went to a hobby shop and bought a 6" roll of magnetic tape. Take the window sticker as a template and cut the magnetic material. Remove the adhesive backing and carefully mount the sticker, or stick first then cut -- it's up to you. The maget is generally black, or "magnet brown", so you have a dark background. Just find some metal on the back of your car and voila, you have a moveable magnet-sticker (so your paint doesn't fade in one spot).

RH77
Old 02-13-2006, 02:00 PM   #35
Registered Member

magnetic material

Yeah that would work - I have some magnetic signs I have found on the side of the road - blown off probably from speeding by the beach - usually the material has a white background with black vinyl lettering attached. Was thinking about using it for side guards to protect from dings in my doors, just stick it on in the parking lot and take it off when I hit the road. Got some bullet holes printed on the same material you can stick on your car - looks like someone shot you up - pretty funny. Be really easy for a friend of mine to cut up some vinyl letters and apply them to the magnetic material. Could use any color vinyl for the letters.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:40 PM   #36
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
clear type sticker

I'd throw in on one too.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:28 PM   #37

OK, so I went to Wolff Signs

OK, so I went to Wolff Signs today and talked to them for a little while. I realized how little I knew about what everyone wanted, so I made up some stuff - if we like it we'll keep it, if not, we can change it.

The stickers I looked at are vinyl and are decal cut - this means there is NO background to the sticker. When you apply it, there will be a transfer tape on the front of the sticker to keep the letters evenly spaced while you apply it to your car. They can do stickers with a background [they can really do ANYTHING], but that's more expensive.

The next thing is size. I don't really know how big people want these. The sticker is going to be the logo [text only] at the top left of the website here. For the quote, I told them 10" from end to end for the sticker. If we want it different sized, I'm sure the price will change accordingly.

Next is color. They have pretty much any color vinyl we want. To keep the cost of the stickers down, the entire thing will be one color [second line of text is same color as first]. If there are a group of people equalling five or more, we can do a separate color at no additional cost. I'm going to do mine in white, because I plan on affixing it to the window of my car, and I think this will be the easiest to read.

Lastly is capitalization. They showed me the sticker both as "gassavers.org" and "GasSavers.org." I must say that the latter is more readable, and they recommend this, especially if we're going to be advertising on a car which can go by quickly [or slowly, for us gas saving grandma drivers =P]. I really don't care how we do it. Matt [or consensus, or whatever], I just need to know how we want it.

As it currently is with the sticker 10" long [I think this gives good readability for the second line of text], the stickers will cost $6 ea if we order 10 or more. We can try smaller if we want to get the price down. The minimum order is $20 from them. I thought it would be cheaper than it is, but it is what it is.

Whether anyone else decides to get one or not, I'm at least doing one so that I can represent for the car show on April 1, 2006. Matt, if you want to contact them yourself, their email is wolffsigns@comcast.net - just tell them you're with "gassavers." If you've already got a cheaper alternative, awesome, just let me know.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:45 PM   #38
Registered Member

vinyl letters

Just so you know I had some on my Geo rear window on the black inside painted area - still don't know why they do that but, the letters fell off pretty quick due to heat from the sun and the winter ice and snow. You have a good price however when you see how much work it is to cut and weed the letters out of vinyl. Make sure the surface it really clean and dry and maybe they will give you some application liquid.

The 11 inch long ones I ran through the laser printer that I stuck on the black bumper of my Geo stayed on no problem and peal right off clean leaving no glue at all on the bumper other than a little less fading under the covered area but when hit by other bumpers it would scratch off the black reveiling the underlying color.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:53 PM   #39
Driving on E

Awesome Dax. Let's talk a

Awesome Dax. Let's talk a little bit more about this via instant messenger if you have it.

I saw a few other alternatives that I was willing to invest in, but they all required me to order 200 or so stickers. In that case they would be a clear background, but they also were not 10 inches wide. How tall are the stickers in the quote?

I'm thinking we can probably make these 6-8 inches wide instead of 10, which will probably help with the price.

Anyway, send me your instant message info via private message and we'll talk some more.

Thanks for doing the footwork on this one.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:28 AM   #40

Matt - I'll be around on and

Matt - I'll be around on and off today at the computer. I'll go ahead and turn on my AIM. My handle is IntkCompIgntnExh