Good Accident Camera - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #11
Registered Member

I have a new camera now (a nice compact FujiFilm one). It has one of those small lithium rechargeables in it and keeping it in the charger all the time and removing it each time I go out is proving annoying. Since I almost never actually take pictures, I figure the simplest thing to do is set up a Google Calender event that send me reminders to put the battery on the charger every so often. Unfortunately I have little intuition as to how long a good period in between charges is likely to be. Right now I chose a week, bit that feels a little pessimistic. Does anyone have experience with the shelf life of lithium regargeables? In the worst case, I can just check the battery level every so often to determine when it starts to get low and then add a safety margin. Thanks for any info.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #12

You can get a 2-pack of the disposables at Wal-mart for under $10. The film lasts for several years. Most phones have a 2 megapixel or greater camera now. If you haven't upgraded your cel in 2 years, you ought to be able to get one for free.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:08 AM   #13
Registered Member

I don't need a cellphone and some people have had trouble with film cameras left in a car exposed to heat and cold. That's why I'm just bringing my camera with me. I have always meant to take more photos anyway.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 04-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
For the neglected accident camera, instead of rechargable batteries I'd just keep some good quality alkalines in a package.

Lithium-ion batteries in larger applications don't like being constantly topped off; they work best if you discharge them most of the way before recharging. I don't know their charge shelf life.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #15
Registered Member

I've realized all I have to do is consider my calendar reminder a "battery check" event, rather than a recharge one. If it ain't low, don't recharge it. I'll just adjust the length based on what I observe over time.

I had a bit of trouble remembering to actually bring my camera with me until I started putting it next to my keys. I could leave it in the car and just remove it in winter as it doesn't get too hot in my garage.

co de pen den cy

Old 04-06-2009, 08:56 AM   #16
Registered Member

I know a few personal injury attorneys and they recommend keeping a disposable 35mm camera in your car. Digital photos can be retouched by just about anybody, so they aren't as trustworthy.

On a funnier note, a colleague had somebody with serious road rage behind him the other day. He pulled out his cell phone cam and pointed it at the car. The driver backed off. Great success story of winning by using your brains.

M
Old 04-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Digital photos can be retouched but if you take a lot of photos and submit them quickly there really is no disputing it. I happened to have my good camera with me when I got in my accident. I didn't even realize it was in the car until after the crash it was at my feet.

If you take a good quality photo or a photo with a lot of noise you will find it extremely difficult to photoshop any elements and have it come out looking untouched. I took my crash photos at ISO 100 for clarity and 800 for the noise but I didn't need them as it was completely obvious who was at fault on that one.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #18
Registered Member

Maybe I'll keep both. I like knowing I got the shots with the digital. If I replace the disposable every year it should help with it going bad.

co de pen den cy

Old 04-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #19
Registered Member

Just thought of a good way to make a digital camera's evidence more believable: take a ton of photos. Be hard to Photoshop a large number if you submit them quickly to your insurance company.

co de pen den cy

Old 04-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Another way: Use your camera phone to picture messages. Depending where you send them, they may be hosted by the cell phone company and unavailable for you to edit. They will confirm the more detailed hi-res photos you take with your camera.