How sad... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
Registered Member

I might have all of you beat...my first computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model I. With a whopping 4k (yes, K) memory, <1 MHz processor, no hard drive, storage was on audio cassettes. 64X128 pixel video resolution. Just barely fit in the trunk of a '49 Ford. Cost more than my HP laptop. Eventually traded it for a McKay Dymek shortwave receiver, which I sold about 10 years later on eBay for $400. About the same time, I found a similar computer, about 2 generations later, sitting on someone's curb.

Ahhh, progress...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:05 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
My first computer was an Apple ][gs. 4mhz, one huge whole megabyte of RAM (an inconceivable quantity at that time; nobody could figure out what anyone would do with that much), color monitor probably about equivalent to EGA, 3.5" futuristic electronic-ejection floppy, 5.25" floppy, and a mouse that never got used because no applications supported it.

There was essentially no operating system as we know it today. Each program came with ProDOS on its disk and booted on its own; you could not exit a program and get to the OS, all you could do was shut off the computer. If you knew the key combination to press before it started booting from a disk, you could get into the ROM's BASIC interpreter which had no access to the floppy drives so you couldn't save anything. It came with a "System disk" that had something more resembling a modern OS on it, but every time we booted from it, it destroyed the disk (even if we write-protected it), which stunk because it was pretty cool...it had a GUI as later seen on Macintoshes, as well as a paint program and a system tour program that was setup as a game complete with animation and sound. It also allowed you to use a BASIC interpreter that could access disks.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:11 PM   #13
Site Team / Moderator

I can remember when we bought our Commodore 64, the computer and cassette tape drive cost about $700. The Commodore monitor was around $250 I think, and the 1541 floppy disk drive was about $300.

My Dell Inspiron 1525 SE laptop I bought last year was $699 on sale. The only upgrade I did to it so far was I purchased the Dell internal Bluetooth card for $20.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
You can compare these to your Commodore 64

My phone is the Moment from Samsung. It runs Android and is shockingly quick at everything I've thrown at it so far. I'm used to my Q which had delays and lockups every time I tried doing stuff on it like watching videos and playing games. Stupid WM5. The fact that they NEVER upgraded that phone to WM6 even though the hardware was essentially the same as the Q9 series which did come with it was enough to make me not want a Motorola again.
Hey, that's my old phone!
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #15
Registered Member

haha thats everyones old phone but id be damned if you couldnt break em...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:20 AM   #16
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

I can honestly say I've never owned a Nokia. All my phones have been either Motorola or HTC, with the exception of an LG CU320 that was such a POS that I took it back after 26 hours and exchanged it for a Motorola. My dad had a TDMA version of that Nokia on AT&T Wireless for years though.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:56 AM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I too have never had a Nokia. First, a cheap basic Verizon-branded Qualcomm that had a cover that flipped over the keys. I lost it a few months after I got it...I left it on my lowered tailgate and drove off. Then I had a Motorola V60i, then a Motorola V710, and now a Samsung M500 (all pocket-sized flip phones).

I don't change phones often.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:57 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
haha thats everyones old phone but id be damned if you couldnt break em...
That's what I'm saying. Those were one of the best cell phones I ever owned. I'd love to get another one.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:08 AM   #19
Site Team / Moderator

My phones (in the order I got them)

1. TDMA Moto StarTac
2. TDMA Moto V60t
3. GSM Moto V551
4. GSM HP iPAQ hw6515 (Windows Mobile 2003 PDA phone, made by HTC)(bought from friend)
5. UMTS LG CU320 (returned after 26 hours)
6. GSM Moto V3
7. UMTS Moto A845 (bought on Ebay)
8. GSM Moto V180 (spare phone, given to me by my niece when she got a new one)
9. UMTS HTC Tilt (Windows Mobile 5 PDA phone)
10. GSM Moto V551 (spare phone picked up on Ebay, I love hacking V551's This one is currently running a custom OS that makes it look & behave like its running Windows XP.)
11. UMTS HTC Pure (Windows Mobile 6.5 PDA phone) (Current daily driver)

Thrown in there are several GSM Moto V3's that friends & family have given me. I've refurbished several of them myself. I also ordered some OEM housings from Hong Kong in colors that were never available here in the US. I now have Moto V3's in bright red, apple green, black, dark blue, and I have spare housings in pink and silver.

I also built some custom accessories of my own. I took an old brick phone and put a circuit board from an old bluetooth headset in it so I can walk around talking on a brick phone (Analog is long dead!) Fading Out
Analog Cellphone Users Are About to Lose the Signal By Kim Hart Washington Post Staff Writer Saturday, January 19, 2008
and I've also built a Western Electric G3 handset with bluetooth circuits in it. http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/mo...html#post95143

Suffice to say that I'm addicting to collecting old cellular and landline telephones.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:08 AM   #20
Site Team

Kinda makes me want to start a thread about how much I prefer the analog service...