How sad... - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Look at the picture in post # 25. Top shelf between the clear 2500 and the translucent blue 2500. I think you will see something very familiar. The rotary Ericofones were extremely well made, but the touch tones had a design flaw in the switch hook mechanism and was prone to breakage.

They did make GSM models of those Nokias. My sister had one. She dropped it in the toilet at work one day and it actually worked better after she dried it out. She used to always sound muffled and tinny before, but after "the incident" she was always loud & clear. Take a look on Ebay, I'm sure you can find one for not much $.

-Jay
Nice! My Ericofon is sadly a bit staticky, I bought it that way, but so far there are otherwise no problems. I'm just happy we have an exchange that supports the rotaries.

Hmm, didn't know that about the Nokia. Does that mean it would work with Verizon? How would I go about activating it? I found the one I had on Wikipedia, mine was actually a 6190, but like everyone else says, that damn thing was impossible to kill, plus had a screen that wouldn't wash out in the sun and I loved to play snake on it. It did everything I needed it to and nothing I didn't!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_6110 (scroll down just a bit; no wonder I don't see the 6190 much, it was a "business" phone!)

'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:53 PM   #32
Registered Member

Today's cell phone has more computing power than the moon lander.

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:52 AM   #33
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Hmm, didn't know that about the Nokia. Does that mean it would work with Verizon?
Verizon and Sprint are CDMA.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:29 AM   #34
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Hmm, didn't know that about the Nokia. Does that mean it would work with Verizon?
I don't know if Verizon is like Sprint on this one but if it wasn't badged as a Sprint phone they can't/won't activate it. It HAD to be a phone made for Sprint. One of the drawbacks of CDMA service. Well, that and they can dictate what plan you are on based on your phone.

Nice thing though is since you can call a phone in stolen and they flag the ESN so it is worthless for anyone trying to activate it you can get insurance for that unlike ATT and their iPhone.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:01 AM   #35
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
AFAIK, if you activate it with their customer service call center instead of a store, they will activate another carrier's CDMA phone.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #36
Registered Member

Interesting. I may try that...
'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:06 AM   #37
Registered Member

Well, I googled around and it sounds like hit-or-miss...some people claim they've done it, others claim that they were told that their phone is not a Sprint-branded phone and that was the end of that. Mostly I'm finding people who want to activate Sprint phones on Verizon, though.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #38
Registered Member

Uh-oh...big brother is watching me:
http://www.sprintusers.com/slight-paranoia/

Quote:
One of our sources has led us to this interesting article on the Slight Paranoia blog.

—————————————————————-
Sprint Nextel provided law enforcement agencies with its customers’ (GPS) location information over 8 million times between September 2008 and October 2009. This massive disclosure of sensitive customer information was made possible due to the roll-out by Sprint of a new, special web portal for law enforcement officers.

The evidence documenting this surveillance program comes in the form of an audio recording of Sprint’s Manager of Electronic Surveillance, who described it during a panel discussion at a wiretapping and interception industry conference, held in Washington DC in October of 2009.

It is unclear if Federal law enforcement agencies’ extensive collection of geolocation data should have been disclosed to Congress pursuant to a 1999 law that requires the publication of certain surveillance statistics — since the Department of Justice simply ignores the law, and has not provided the legally mandated reports to Congress since 2004.
—————————————————————-
Old 12-03-2009, 05:15 PM   #39
Registered Member

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:03 PM   #40
Registered Member

Yep, that looks pretty much like I remember it...but ours wasn't quite so shiny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Sounds like a Western Electric 302

and here's the dial center you described:

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote