how to transport a car over 1000 miles? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2005, 08:37 AM   #1
Driving on E

how to transport a car over 1000 miles?

I contacted a guy in seattle who is selling a n600. It isn't road worthy right now, and I wouldn't drive it on the interstate even if it was. these things have top speed of like 60mph and I don't want to die in a little tin box.

So, what is the best way to transport this car? This is even more complicated b/c I do not have a truck.

I could rent a truck and drive to seattle, but that would end up costing a ton of money. Uhaul going one way is also ridiculous (over $2000). A vehicle transportation service would cost around $1000 to transport it.

I have no idea how much this guy wants yet, but I do not want to spend more than $500 to transport it.

Any ideas? I'd love to make a road trip out of it, but I don't know the best way to do this (especially without a truck). Do moving companies (those who move people's stuff when the move across country) offer better rates?

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:48 AM   #2

I would go to eBay motors

I would go to eBay motors and look for a link about transporting cars. I sold my Porsche a few years ago and the guy arranged to have it picked up by a car carrier he found through the eBay service. I want to say he spent under $500 for transport. The car was picked up in Atlanta, GA and delivered somewhere in south FL.

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:44 AM   #3
Driving on E

Re: I would go to eBay motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
I would go to eBay motors and look for a link about transporting cars. I sold my Porsche a few years ago and the guy arranged to have it picked up by a car carrier he found through the eBay service. I want to say he spent under $500 for transport. The car was picked up in Atlanta, GA and delivered somewhere in south FL.
I might do this. Since Seattle and Salt Lake CIty are both "major" cities I'm sure it will be cheaper. Since the car doesn't run, however, they may charge me a bit more (like $150 more) as some sort of "hassle fee." if the car was the right price I could handle spending $600-700 to ship it here.

Hopefully he'll respond soon with a price for me.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:02 AM   #4
*shrug*

If you can get him to take

If you can get him to take it to a shipping hub and pick it up from one, you'll also save a bunch over door to door.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:00 AM   #5

Re: If you can get him to take

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
If you can get him to take it to a shipping hub and pick it up from one, you'll also save a bunch over door to door.
Very true. You can rent a tow dolly from Uhaul for about $45. If it saves you more than $45 to pick it up from a shipping hub, rent the dolly! Also, it may make it even cheaper if you can talk the current owner into towing it to a hub [like SVO said]...you could offer to pay the cost of renting the dolly if it saves you money and the owner doesn't mind taking the time to do it.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:31 AM   #6
Driving on E

Re: If you can get him to take

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Very true. You can rent a tow dolly from Uhaul for about $45. If it saves you more than $45 to pick it up from a shipping hub, rent the dolly! Also, it may make it even cheaper if you can talk the current owner into towing it to a hub [like SVO said]...you could offer to pay the cost of renting the dolly if it saves you money and the owner doesn't mind taking the time to do it.
but one potential problem is that one of the cars I'm looking at has a "locked" back wheel. It's probably the breaks that locked up, so I could only tow with a full trailer.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
I used to work as a shagger

I used to work as a shagger (someone who drives cars out of Mazda final assembly to be loaded onto truck and rail) and I can't recomend a sort of broken vehicle getting to you safely by rail. We were not easy on vehicles coming from Japan that came into our midwest hub for unloading by rail. 9 vehicles(on average) a year "somehow" jumped the ramps to only land totaled on the concrete. 90% of the time it was the Miata's and Protege's...

Anyway, I'd call dealers in your area to see if they have logistic routes to and from seattle. Ya know, shmooze with them...Maybe they would pickup your car on one of thier delivery backhauls?
This company, Cassens Transport, has in the past. 600 mile trip, $300.
They did it for my friend, and here is thier website Cassens Transport

...then again, Rail may be your "cheapest" option being that 1000miles is involved.
P.S.~I'd bet $500 bucks that ANY car haulin trucker picking up your vehicle could safely get that rear wheel unstuck. Those friggin guys are a different brand of human, and they can do things with a vehicle that would leave you speechless. (Including the driving manuevers they can perform if need be!)
Old 11-09-2005, 07:55 PM   #8
Driving on E

Thanks nortronpro,

Thanks nortronpro,

I've decided to bid on one of these cars in Chicago. It is in better shape than the one in Seattle. If I don't win the one in chicago I'm going to go for the one in seattle.

I've received two quotes from one good company and the going rate for a car that doesn't run is like $850 from Chicago and $680ish from Seattle. I'm willing to pay the extra for the car in Chicago b/c the interior is in better shape and the bumpers arn't dented.

Anyway, the auction ends soon so I have to start bidding
Old 11-09-2005, 08:47 PM   #9
Driving on E

I won!!!

Say hello to my new car!

If anyone is interested in a n600 sedan in Seattle Washington that costs $800 I know of a guy selling one.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:56 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
(OT) about 1400 miles

Nice!! I miss making that run from Chicago to SLC, Iowa rocks!
So is your shipper using truck or rail?
~Will