Originally Posted by SVOboy
Quote:
Are you vegetarian SVO?
Yessir, I am!
Cool, as am I. =)

Old 04-13-2006, 02:45 AM   #22
*shrug*

Ever thought of going vegan?

Ever thought of going vegan? I might once I get to dartmouth since the options will be abundant. I don't think I could make the change right now.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:41 AM   #23
Registered Member

Re: Ever thought of going vegan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Ever thought of going vegan?
I was vegan for about 3 years. I've been a vegetarian for almost 10 years now, and I would still be vegan, but I got sick (unrelated) and I couldn't afford the strict diet. I guess now that I've been healthy for a few years, there is no reason I shouldn't become vegan again. Being vegan is rather hard sometimes... pizza is pretty damn good.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:51 AM   #24

I could never do it guys. I

I could never do it guys.

I try to keep my freezer stocked with venison though, as it's an extremely lean meat and much better for you than beef.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:15 AM   #25
Registered Member

Well... Y'know the summer

Well... Y'know the summer gas crunch? When demand supposedly rises enough to increase fuel costs. What is the actual Percentage of increased demand? 5%, 10%, or 15%?

Hmmm, wiith almost free mods to my truck at one point (slight aero's with duct tape, tire pressure, driving habits) i had gone from averaging 18mpg to a best of 21 not trying to AVERAGING 22-23 with a best of 24.5...

So if we take the average of the first 'average' (sounds funny) you get a number just under 20 so i'll say 20. And the next number could easily be just 22. I'm trying to be totally fair, instead of saying that i went from 18 to 24.5 even though i guess i could, but anyway.

Getting 2mpg better for me from 20 to 22 is a 10% gain! And that was with barely any physical modifications, i had already been running an MSD 6a and an open element K&N and an easier breathing muffler before i started so those don't count.

Honestly i believe the best all around 'mod' is to drive easier in the city and slower on the freeway. Simple. Better mileage, easier on the car, and safer.

But back to the 'costs' of modding. It is very near sighted to look at it the way the traitor did. oops, did i wright that. I'm in no position to purchase another vehicle so i do what i can with what i have. And if by doing next to nothing i can improve 10% then if we could spread the word, we're talking about a lot less gas everyone uses, IF you can get the word out, and if A LOT of people make some simple changes, we could see fuel demand slow or drop and possibly fuel costs drop.

Of course, the above is a very long term scenario but it is possible. We saw the reverse at the begginning of the SUV craze, more BIG vehicles with horrible mileage and less anything better in the mpg category, heck a full size sedan would have been a huge upgrade in most cases, same goes for a van or wagon.

For me, it's kinda a game, impresses others sometimes (okay rarely) but if i can get someone else to think about out and so forth and so on, not only are we doing something good for the enviornment, we might also help everyone out in the pocketbook as well.

Oh yeah, workers on the Sun???
chesspirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:20 AM   #26
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to molecule
workers NEAR the sun

workers NEAR the sun

any idea how big that thing would have to be to show up like that...?
Old 04-13-2006, 07:36 AM   #27
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Re: Well... Y'know the summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
I could never do it guys.

I try to keep my freezer stocked with venison though, as it's an extremely lean meat and much better for you than beef.
im with you. venison rocks.

i thought about becoming a vegitarian because i am a bit of a health nut, but i decided that beef tenderloin once a month is just too hard to give up. what else would i drink my reds with??

i could NEVER be vegan. sushi/sashimi is just too amazing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesspirate
Honestly i believe the best all around 'mod' is to drive easier in the city and slower on the freeway. Simple. Better mileage, easier on the car, and safer.
and boring . seriously though, there are some things that can definitely be contested in those statements. there is no way going slower on the freeway is safer, and neither is going faster, the safest is just going with the flow of traffic, while remaining attentive. also whether its 'easier' on the car or not depends on the car. i know there are plenty others out there, but i speak from experience when i say that, in the long term and short, hondas feel no difference between light driving and moderate driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesspirate
For me, it's kinda a game, impresses others sometimes (okay rarely) but if i can get someone else to think about out and so forth and so on, not only are we doing something good for the enviornment, we might also help everyone out in the pocketbook as well.
people are impressed when i tell them ive gotten over 38mpg on my last 4 tanks and they are jelous.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:41 AM   #28
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared
i could NEVER be vegan. sushi/sashimi is just too amazing!
Can I hear an Amen?

Quote:
there is no way going slower on the freeway is safer, and neither is going faster, the safest is just going with the flow of traffic, while remaining attentive.
I usually just go the speed limit and stay to the right side of the freeway. I'm in no hurry to get anywhere.

Quote:
people are impressed when i tell them ive gotten over 38mpg on my last 4 tanks and they are jelous.
I've begun posting my MPG image on other forums I go to in my signature. It's my way of bragging, even if I only get 35mpg.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:50 AM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:I've begun posting my

Quote:
I've begun posting my MPG image on other forums I go to in my signature. It's my way of bragging, even if I only get 35mpg.
Good idea. Plus, it is free advertising for your site

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:08 AM   #30
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
I usually just go the speed limit and stay to the right side of the freeway. I'm in no hurry to get anywhere.
thats koshur, but going under can definitely be very hazardous if traffic begins to get backed up(because of the slow driver). this depends a lot on the population density of the area too. my point was that 'slower' or 'faster' is a false dichotomy. there is a 'moderate' in there too