I had a dream, a nice dream... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2007, 11:33 AM   #11
Registered Member

You bother reading that drivel? Not me, I'm not hooked on phonics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I've always said that if I were in a position of power, the first thing I'd do is ban leaf blowers, ICE and electric.
Sorry SVOboy, I meant MetroMPG, put your handle in by accident.

Telco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:41 AM   #12
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telco View Post

Sorry SVOboy, I meant MetroMPG, put your handle in by accident.
Ah, okay. I agree, darin's a crackpot.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:41 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
clencher: I'm betting it takes you 2x longer to write that way. It takes me 2x longer to read, anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telco
iy've desided too embraes,,,,,,,,, -er, whatchakallit? it'z not ebonics, it'z not phonics,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, i gess it'z "tiep watever th **** i feel liek onics". hoo needz awl them sillee ruelz,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,? hardly no one it seemz

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:07 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Off the top of my head... Here's what I would support...

+Net Neutrality
+Insurance reform (over tort reform)
+Advancements in Nuclear Power Generation (as interim solution to impending energy problems)
+Single-Player Health care
+Move oil company subsidization (you know, like tax breaks et. al.) to incentives for auto manufacturers for higher mileage vehicles
+Tax incentives for higher mileage vehicles
+Addition of stringent Agriculture emissions standards
+Additional monies for medical research such as HIV/AIDS and Stem Cell cures (truly, if we don't make the breakthrough, another country will)
+Tax incentives for new parents to have less children (7billion by 2011 and 8 billion by 2024... scary)

More importantly, I'd make sure the offices were filled with people that know about these specific issues and issues I'm not fluent in (such as dealing with the socioeconomic class gaps) AND that those people are not changing areas they are not familiar with......

Just my .02 dollars

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:19 PM   #15
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
+Additional monies for medical research such as HIV/AIDS and Stem Cell cures (truly, if we don't make the breakthrough, another country will)
This is one of the things that I'm really active with when I do things. I think it's a travesty that the West has the cures to so many diseases and the money to eradicate them worldwide, but just doesn't. It wouldn't be hardly more than two drops in the bucket for us to wipe out most of the diseases we've already cured, and to throw more money into curing and preventing many of the other diseases out there. This would be very high on my list.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
It wouldn't be hardly more than two drops in the bucket for us to wipe out most of the diseases we've already cured, and to throw more money into curing and preventing many of the other diseases out there. This would be very high on my list.
But it isn't profitable to cure. Where will the pharmaceuticals make their money if they went around curing everything?

I do draw the line at stem cell research though, depending on the source of the cells. If they want to research adult stem cells, that's fine. Umbilical cord cells? No problem. Chopping up children for cures? Wrong, wrong and wrong. Animals consume their young, humans do not. Using viable embryos for medication is no different to me. And no, I would not use a cure for a disease derived from someone else, even if it means me or mine will die. People aren't products.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #17
*shrug*

I'm not talking about diabetes or silly things like that. I'm talking about stuff like TB, whose medications are not expensive or hoarded by drug companies. In such a case as TB, malaria, or AIDs prevention, it shouldn't be about making money, it should be about saving lives.

So what do you say of people who volunteer themselves to be used for stem cell testing, na? Is it different than a drug developed with a voluntary human trail?
Old 09-21-2007, 04:02 AM   #18
Registered Member

I don't like where womens rights have gone since Sauron took office. That irrational males should have any say in what a woman can do with her body is something straight out of the dark ages. This is half our population we have been trying to keep down on religious pretexts (e.g. we are not animals, there will be 7 virgins waiting for me in heaven, etc...).

The world is a lot smaller place, manufacturing and knowledge jobs can be done anywhere for a lot less than in the US. Meanwhile we tie healthcare to employment, and not very well at that( i.e. wallmart insures about half it's employees, and the $10million to fix the rest comes from tax dollars). I don't think we should ride capitalism all the way to its logical conclusion (it aint pretty), we will need more social programs, i.e. healthcare.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:07 AM   #19
Registered Member

I have no problem at all with someone who volunteers with informed consent. A person can do what they want with their own body so long as it doesn't impact another person.

This is why I'm against abortion, for the most part. Abortion should be a serious, last resort procedure, not a convenience procedure. A woman's right to control her own body ends when she gets pregnant. At that point she's responsible for a second person for 9 months. If she doesn't want the responsibility there are too many ways to keep from getting pregnant, and those ways are too well known, for anyone to be able to say it was an accident or she didn't know. If she doesn't want the kid there are people who will pay all her expenses to adopt the kid. The only times I see abortion as justified is if the pregnancy is the result of rape or incest, the child has major defects or the mother will lose her life carrying the child to term. In other words, you wanna have sex, pregnancy is the natural consequence of sex. If you aren't willing to have a child, then either don't have sex or have a permanent sterilization procedure performed.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:27 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telco View Post
...A woman's right to control her own body ends when she gets pregnant...
dogmatic religious crap

Got any makeup tips for the ladies?