I See.....Jobs - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
Registered Member

Re: I See.....Jobs

The reason I love the federal government is as an engineer my pay is not far off from the private industry and I only have to work 40 hrs/ week instead of the 50-60 hrs I was expected to work in the private industry.

At 60 hrs a week I was actually paid less than I am now using a 40 hrs as a benchmark.

In addition I'm at a place where I only work 4 days a week (10 hrs/day). It's great for family life and low stress.

tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #12
Registered Member

i don't see the correlation between jobs and "occupy wall street" however.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
The reason I love the federal government is as an engineer my pay is not far off from the private industry and I only have to work 40 hrs/ week instead of the 50-60 hrs I was expected to work in the private industry.

At 60 hrs a week I was actually paid less than I am now using a 40 hrs as a benchmark.

In addition I'm at a place where I only work 4 days a week (10 hrs/day). It's great for family life and low stress.
You one of those government employees getting paid twice what the same job in the civilian sector gets?
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:39 AM   #14
Registered Member

No, I'm one of the federal government workers that is paid a WORKING wage without having to work 60 hrs / week slave labor.

Actually I would make more in the private sector as an engineer but have to work 50-60 hrs/week to get it and live with the fear everyday of losing my job because of the greed of CEO's and mismanagement.

I personally think we should have the work week and vacation like Germany. And since we have become so efficient over the last 40 yrs why is 40 hr workweek still a standard and not 30 hrs?
Old 10-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
...and live with the fear everyday of losing my job because of the greed of CEO's and mismanagement.
if federal and local govt(including politicians) would first fix their greed, mismanagement, and corruption; taxes on individuals and corps could be lowered stimulating growth enough to not only save jobs, but to create new ones. that said, i would fear being in a govt job as cuts are needed to bring budgets under control. insane govt (and private for that matter) benefits, pensions, salaries; as well as unneeded positions will be on the table for cuts as things progress...or regress if you will.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:37 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
if federal and local govt(including politicians) would first fix their greed, mismanagement, and corruption; taxes on individuals and corps could be lowered stimulating growth enough to not only save jobs, but to create new ones. that said, i would fear being in a govt job as cuts are needed to bring budgets under control. insane govt (and private for that matter) benefits, pensions, salaries; as well as unneeded positions will be on the table for cuts as things progress...or regress if you will.
Well where I work there is seniority so if there were cuts I wouldn't be the first to go.

As well they would offer incentives for those that could retire to do so. I think 25% of the federal workforce could retire right now.

Corporate greed will still exist regardless of the improvement in taxation.

I will take the good with the bad staying with the federal government as I've experienced the cut-throat nature of the private sector for 12 years.

I could make more in the private sector but my quality of life is much better since my stress level is lower and I only have to work 40 hrs / week.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #17
Registered Member

What people don't seem to understand is that job growth need not be any greater than population growth. If the population were to be stable, then zero job growth would be perfectly suitable. If pop growth is x percent, that's all job growth needs to be. So when we stop paying all these retreads to reproduce, we can stop crying about job growth, and we can stop all this stupid, ugly sprawl, and we can stop increasing commute times on increasingly clogged roads.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #18
Registered Member

is 40 hrs a week the standard?

man I have worked too many 50 and 60 hr weeks to remember.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
is 40 hrs a week the standard?

man I have worked too many 50 and 60 hr weeks to remember.
As long as you are compensated for the extra hours you work I don't see anything wrong with 50-60 hrs a week. That is why I believe companies deserve unions because of the mistreatment of their salaried employees.

Unfortunately employers take advantage of their employees especially in this job climate.

I just wished I would have gone right into a government job right out of college. But better late than never.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Well where I work there is seniority so if there were cuts I wouldn't be the first to go.

As well they would offer incentives for those that could retire to do so. I think 25% of the federal workforce could retire right now.

Corporate greed will still exist regardless of the improvement in taxation.

I will take the good with the bad staying with the federal government as I've experienced the cut-throat nature of the private sector for 12 years.

I could make more in the private sector but my quality of life is much better since my stress level is lower and I only have to work 40 hrs / week.
these are all great points of focus...

seniority doesn't matter outside of govt and private unions. this is what hurts efficiency and production ultimately affecting an organizations future. job security should(and is in the non-union private sector) be based on performance...tho i would argue that older laborers should be given slack in regard to production and promotional opportunities.

many public pensions are WAY out of control and budget. there have even been reports of those working AND collecting a govt pension. they need both more self funding and a reconstruction of the amount in % paid(lower would be ideal for a great many of them).

there would be less corp greed w/ a fair or flat tax AND employees that would not abuse workplace benefits, time, and resources. if corp were confident about future taxation they could hire more and offer incentives for employees to be(or become) shareholders provided they worked together to make their company more profitable. i will concede the point of ridiculous CEO(and such) pay, but that's the company's money not yours or mine; and certainly not tax payer money!

companies to some degree have to "cut throats" to survive. govt gets in trouble when difficult cuts are not made...like the fore mentioned seniority topic. if some one is found to be in subordination such that termination is mandated...make it so, no matter the years served...PERIOD

the private sector saves money by requiring overtime during seasonal peak in business. fewer employees on the pay roll at less busy times often is crucial.

i'm with ya on your employment choice. and i agree that regulation is needed...but it would be prudent to first regulate govt. i'm tired of the Barney Franks of the world cutting back room deals while promising that things are ok with their govt committee and self regulation. what if in the early part of this century the housing market(freddie and fannie specifically) was better regulated?...