If I disappear soon, here's why: - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-05-2007, 05:32 PM   #21
Supporting Member

Silveredwings-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveredwings View Post
The organization is AEI which is owned by the same folks who own the Bush administration like somebody owns a dog: ExxxxxxxonMobil
See:
Scientists offered cash to dispute climate study

and:
A Bush in the hand is priceless for AEI

There're some scarey words there. Too much money and power in one place.
Ahhhh, the Guardian. Words I can still trust in an oh-so-jaded world.

EDIT : Wow, the AEI has Lynne Cheney, David Frum (coiner of "axis of evil"), and Richard Perle (he of the Dark Side). PNAC partiers one and all.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:40 PM   #22
Registered Member

Good Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveredwings View Post
...how 'bout since the ExxonValdeeeez?
Well, excellent question. I think a lot of here have used (or are using) Mobil 1 full-synthetic oil (it was required in the Evo due to the high oil temps from the turbo).

The Valdez happened when I was 14 -- I bought about 2 gallons of Amoco gas a week mowing lawns at the time. Then time passed...I've only started to realize "the power of the consumer" with the boycott method, more recently.

When I went back to Dino-oil, I used Mobil, since it worked well as a syn -- now I use Castrol GTX (BP) and Quiktrip gasoline (Tier 1) at home, and Shell/Texaco, or BP in rentals -- depending on the region.

RH77

Old 02-06-2007, 02:33 PM   #23
DRW
Registered Member

Originally posted by a certain unknown somebody-"Yeah, they may "plant" someone to join and go over the memberlist."

How do you know they haven't planted someone already? Someone to stop us from being so thrifty and encourage us to stuff more dollars into Big Oil's pockets?

BTW on a COMPLETELY unrelated topic, have you experienced how cool it is to drive fast? I know it's not so safe, so it helps to have a large, safe vehicle when you want to fit in with the rest of society and drive fast! C'mon everyone, the cliff's over here! wheeeee!!!

But seriously, it's also possible that whoever browsed your site might have been doing market research. Maybe we can expect a new blend of gas to come out soon that loosely claims to improve mpg? I'm sure their lawers will make sure they don't make any claims of actual improvement. They may simply suggest a loose relationship between using their 'new' gas and improved mpg.

I'm sure a big company like Exxon likes to keep tabs on the latest trends and see when it's time to jump on the bandwagon.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:37 AM   #24
Registered Member

or a new patent on some new alternator technology, although they will most likely not allow anyone to use this patent until they know they can make more money by selling the pattent, than by the increase gas sales.

::EDIT:: BTW- I'm quite safe, being one of their preferred customers haha.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:50 PM   #25
Registered Member

Didn't Shell just try telling us that a tank of their gas improved MPG???? I rememebered they used a Mustang or something else in the ad.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:04 PM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brelandt View Post
Didn't Shell just try telling us that a tank of their gas improved MPG???? I rememebered they used a Mustang or something else in the ad.
I remember that ad. At least the one they aired in Canada. It was 3 different coloured Impalas driving on some scenic road and the yellow Impala "supposedly" drove the furthest. Shell was advertizing their V-Power Premium Grade gasoline (usually priced 10 cents/litre more than regular) saying that it was formulated with additives to give better mileage than the Red and Blue car (whatever companies they represent).
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:15 PM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
I remember that ad. At least the one they aired in Canada. It was 3 different coloured Impalas driving on some scenic road and the yellow Impala "supposedly" drove the furthest. Shell was advertizing their V-Power Premium Grade gasoline (usually priced 10 cents/litre more than regular) saying that it was formulated with additives to give better mileage than the Red and Blue car (whatever companies they represent).
That's it! Same ad that was run here in New Orleans, LA.

At first I laughed my azz off, then I started to get worried. Now every one whit a BIG suv has an excuse to drive their tank around with even less guilt. at least the ones that believed what Shell was telling them....

BTW, did anyone see that movie "American dreamz"? At one point Hugh Grant's character had to give an ad during his show for an SUV. He said "Buy the new Tank from American Motor Company. It's 50% larger because you need it"! Pretty much sums up the American market doesn't it? Makes it that much funnier! Of course it was suppose to be synical.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:15 AM   #28
Registered Member

Ad

Yeah, I remember that ad now -- the yellow Impala went sooooo much further. It was probably like an extra tenth of a mile due to a blend of additives or some stuff (maybe the others had Ethanol instead of MTBE right before they had to switch). Dunno.

RH77