Im done for a while - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2007, 07:18 PM   #11
Registered Member

What everyone seems to view as exponential population growth only happens when people transition from a lifestyle where having many children is advantageous or necessary to one where it isn't. A bloodline going from say, rural Mexico during the 1930s to America during the 2020s will probably exhibit this. Lots of kids are an advantage in areas w/ relatively high mortality rates, but in places with lower mortality rates and more expenses/structure, they become a larger burden on the parents and aren't as worthwhile from the standpoint of the family's continued existence.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #12
Registered Member

Yeah we pretty much haven't had the high infant/child mortality problem here for what- 90 years?

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:23 PM   #13
Registered Member

I believe so... although I'm just BS'ing. It's probably in some god-forsaken statistic somewhere.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:23 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Absolutely!

Er, uh, wait, I don't know. If immigrants are here legally and they haven't had more than two, I won't be mad at them.
Why? If 2 immigrants with 2 children come in, that is 4 people entering the US, not 2 people already here having 2 children to replace them...oh well...

McIntyre's First Law: "Under the right circumstances, anything I tell you may be wrong."

O'Brien's First Corollary to McIntyre's First Law: "I don't know what the right circumstances are, either."

rvanengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:24 PM   #15
Registered Member

Yeah, but the world population is still stable, which is what I think some are worried about.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:27 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
Yeah, but the world population is still stable, which is what I think some are worried about.
True...but not really relevant to congestion on US roads. Let's not forget that the vast majority of the increase in world population is not in the "developed" world.

McIntyre's First Law: "Under the right circumstances, anything I tell you may be wrong."

O'Brien's First Corollary to McIntyre's First Law: "I don't know what the right circumstances are, either."

Old 08-22-2007, 07:29 PM   #17
Supporting Member

Psy we will be waiting to see ya around here in a while but take it in stride and let yourself cool of for a while you will come back i know it!
Old 08-22-2007, 07:32 PM   #18
Registered Member

Actually I believe a good portion of it is. Even though the third world has a higher birthrate, it's balanced by a higher death rate. When a family successfully moves to someplace that doesn't have the higher death rate, they continue to have children in roughly the same manner they did before for a few generations, increasing the "developed" county's population. All the population growth in the past couple decades here has been because of immigrant families iirc. The majority of natives are having fewer children too...
Old 08-22-2007, 07:37 PM   #19
Registered Member

Oh yeah, some people are VERY WORRIED about world population stability! (Or, they are just damned egomaniacs.)

*Local breeders: "LANCASTER, Minn. - Every morning, the neighbor's dog would arrive at the Pankratz family's rural home. And every evening, the neighbor apologetically came to retrieve Sally, who so enjoyed playing with the children that she gave them rides on her back. Eventually, the neighbor tired of this daily chore and asked, “Do you want a dog?” Given their nature, the answer from Beth and Van Pankratz was predictable. Sure. No problem. The more, the merrier. There's plenty of room for more in our family and our hearts. That's because Beth, 43, and Van, 42, have 14 children, with a 15th due to be born between Thanksgiving and Christmas..."

*The Duggar family (or... tribe? 17 kids and counting...) http://thenewshole.msnbc.msn.com/arc...04/303831.aspx

*78 kids and the dude is "shooting" for 100 (I knew it was nothing more than a game! ) http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline...-big-love.html

*OOOh, competition for the Duggars! Cali family has 17 kids... WHO WILL "WIN"?!? http://www.dakotavoice.com/200512/20051214_8.html

*OOh! OOh! My favorite one of all!!! Woman was "fixed", then got "unfixed" so new man could have a son. (Now there's a worthy cause eh? ) Now she's got 10! http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/189021/

P.S. Google "17 kids" and there's a lot of stuff. One guy had an interesting thought: "Our children will pay A LOT for clean water. Their Grandchildren will fight wars for clean water." Hmmm...

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:55 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
Actually I believe a good portion of it is. Even though the third world has a higher birthrate, it's balanced by a higher death rate. When a family successfully moves to someplace that doesn't have the higher death rate, they continue to have children in roughly the same manner they did before for a few generations, increasing the "developed" county's population. All the population growth in the past couple decades here has been because of immigrant families iirc. The majority of natives are having fewer children too...
An interesting graphic can be found here that shows the US and Canada as being relatively stable for population: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_growth

Overall for the US, there are only an average of 2 births per woman...so the non-breeders are largely cancelled out by the limited number of breeders, leaving immigrants, increasing lifespans and decreasing infant mortality being the major factors for population growth.
http://www.prb.org/Countries/UnitedStates.aspx

"According to the most recent (medium variant) UN population projection India's population will increase by an additional 401 million between 1995 and 2025 - China will grow by "only" 260 million (see Table C1_3). The next largest contributor to world population growth - surprisingly - is not Indonesia which has the third largest population among developing countries, but Pakistan. This country's population will grow by about 133 million between 1995 and 2025. An almost equal contribution to world population growth will probably come from Nigeria - 127 million. Perhaps unexpected, the next largest contributor to world population growth will be Ethiopia, which will have an additional 80 million people over the next three decades. Indonesia, on the other hand, will grow by "only" 78 million people - which is just sixth place in the "hit list" of contributors to world population growth. The United States of America will probably grow by 65 and Bangladesh by 62 million. Few development experts would have put Zaire on a watch list for population growth. But this Central African country is projected to have an increase in population of almost 61 million between 1995 and 2025. The tenth largest contributor to world population growth will be Iran - with a population increase of almost 60 million during the next three decades "
source: http://www.iiasa.ac.at/Research/LUC/...gkh1/chap1.htm