lock nut removal tool? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2008, 06:21 AM   #21
Registered Member

Well the other thing is that one or the other methods simply may not work on your type of lugnuts. So all options should be worth consideration for anybody else facing this in the future.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:36 AM   #22
Registered Member

mine are completely round on the outside which makes these with the reverse threads seem like the best way. I have seen other lock nuts with the pattern on the outside edge but mine aren't that way. if the pattern was on the outside, I would SOOO beat a socket on it and go that route.

with the pattern on the inside and a smoothe outside, I feel like it would take more force than I could give it or it would just ream it even worse making it even harder to remove.

I have the tracking number and it should be here next monday. I will update how it goes. hopefully it will be succesful

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:15 PM   #23
Registered Member

Actually inside or outside pattern doesn't matter so much as clearance between the nut and the lug holes in the wheel. A nice 2 lb hammer will set a socket on there either way. Use an impact socket when in doubt.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #24
Registered Member

piece of cake...kind of

I got in the tool and went to autozone and got some replacement lug nuts. unfortunately the lug nuts didn't fit the factory wrench with the kit. the nuts fit the lugs but not the wrench.

the tool worked well. the reverse threads zipped the nuts off with no problem. getting the nuts out of the tool was another story. it said to grind down the sides of the nut and put it in a vice and zip it off with the impact wrench. I don't have a grinder or a vice. the friend that I rely on for his huge selection of tools moved out last weekend. I was left with a standard wrench set and a bastard file. I filed down the sides until it fit in a 3/4 inch wrench, put the wrench on it, placed a piece of wood on the ground, placed the socket on the wood (which I stood on), and pulled the trigger. I held on to the first one until it finally came lose. I repeated the process two more times. that leaves one in the tool. I will worry about that one tomorrow. this isn't the best way to do it but I was excited to get it done.

I plan to go and get the correct lug nuts tomorrow and hopefully rotate the tires soon. that was all I wanted to do to her car to begin with. I have some pics of the stuff I used below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	removal tools.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1234   Click image for larger version

Name:	lock nut in tool.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1235   Click image for larger version

Name:	done.JPG
Views:	123