Looking at a hyundai tomorrow - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

Looking at a hyundai tomorrow

95 accent Hatchback 5 speed 75,000 miles. So I know hyundai isn't known for the highest quality of vehicals. The reviews on the net seem good (but it seems the reviews are always good by the car owners). If you wan't to talk me out of buying it now would be the chance.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:15 PM   #2
Driving on E

I would like to talk you into buying it.

I don't know anyone with a Hyundai.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
Registered Member

Its rated at 38 highway. So I am hoping for some mid 40s.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:47 PM   #4
Registered Member

95 Hyundai

Well, I would consider it just like buying a '95 Metro, as those were made by a Korean automaker. The Accent just has a different badge on it.

As always, get the CarFax report and have a mechanic look it over.

Go to Edmunds.com and poke around (the link is directly to the '95 Accent).

The dealer trade in value is around $100, private party is $400, and dealer is $900. Anything more than $500 would be a poor value.

The line seems to be reliable, and the car has been noted to be fun to drive and economical (it seems like the manual windows mechanisms break, but that's about it). The Accent replaced the "Excel". That "throw-away car" tarnished the company's image until people actually drove the newly designed vehicles. I was pleasantly surprised the first time I drove a Hyundai.

Just bear in mind that you might actually have to pay someone when you get rid of it because of the sharply declining re-sale value. Otherwise, for $500, I don't see where you could go wrong.

RH77 gives the
Old 10-02-2006, 05:13 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
Well, I would consider it just like buying a '95 Metro, as those were made by a Korean automaker.
Nuh-uh! The 95+ North American market Suzukiclones were all made in Ontario. (And most of the 89-94's as well, though some of those were Japanese manufactured.)
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:18 PM   #6

I had a '94 Excel back in '95. Reason I bought it was because of the sharply declining re-sale value and bad wrap they had (I could get one cheap). I wanted a Corolla (needed a 4dr car with auto) but they were around $11k+ for a decent one a year old.

We decided to get it and it turned out to be one of the BEST cars I've ever owned and I've owned A LOT! (50+ non junkers) We ended up paying $4500 for it and drove it for 2 years then sold it for $3500 after putting 45k miles on it.

Problems with the Excel (last year model until replaced by the Accent). Slightly overheated when running A/C- I did have this car on a tropical island in the Pacific so a lot of peoples new cars overheated there. Problem solved by hotwiring the fan to the ignition and then switiching to synthetic oil. Those were the only problems I had. I have since considered getting a Hyundai again. I like how they are now finally copying Japanese design instead of trying to be unique like they have been for the last 10 years.

I say if the owner has maintained it well and can prove that they did, go for it!! Remember, it is a Hyundai so you also have that in your favor = you can get it cheap because people are scared of it!
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:37 PM   #7
Supporting Member

kickflipjr -

It gets an 8.1 rating out of 10 at Edmunds :

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1995/hyu...97/prices.html

I like the nose. It looks very smooth. On to the specs we care about :

Curb Weight: 2057 lbs. <------ Light Weight!!!

Base Number of Cylinders: 4
Base Engine Size: 1.5 liters <------ Small!!!
Base Engine Type: Inline 4
Horsepower: 92 hp
Max Horsepower @ : 5500 rpm
Torque: 96 ft-lbs.
Max Torque @ : 3000 rpm
Drive Type: FWD

Fuel Tank Capacity: 11.9 gal.
EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway)
Manual: 29 mpg / 38 mpg <-------------------- Great Potential!!!!
Automatic: : 28 mpg / 36 mpg

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:56 PM   #8
Registered Member

Oh crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Nuh-uh! The 95+ North American market Suzukiclones were all made in Ontario. (And most of the 89-94's as well, though some of those were Japanese manufactured.)
Oh crap, did I just step in it. My bad -- I thought Suzuki made them over in Korea. I confused it with the later Pontiac Le Mans, which I'm assuming was made over there. By the way, what ever happened to the Chevy Sprint? The Aveo is a Daewoo, that I know for sure.

My apologies to the people of the great Province of Ontario, especially you Metro I was hungry, the phone was ringing, I was stuck in traffic, there was a fire, tornado, earthquake! Anyways...

RH77
"Department of Corrections and Redundancies Department"
Old 10-02-2006, 11:16 PM   #9
Registered Member

On my last trip back to my homeland Australia I rented 2 Hyundais to drive while I was there for the month.

I had an Excell ...1.5L manual , no power anything.- Rather much like this.

It only had 500 Kilometers on the clock and was the 2005 so it was NEW.
It was one of the most cheap and nasty piles of junk I have ever come across , and thats saying something (i used to work at ford where its all junk)

Then After 1 week I took it back and got an Elantra.
2.0 almost sports model.

..and the differnec ewas amazing.
The Elantra was a genuinly good car to drive.
Much bigger than the Excell ,l but the FE wasnt all that bad.
And when you pushed on the gas , it went !

I wouldnt wish an excell on my worst enemy , but if I was in the market for a new car ide buy the Elantra immediately.-- it was that good. (for an asian made car)

PS ,excell may be under a differnet name depending upon country , but ime prety sure they used the elantra name in every market.
onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:54 PM   #10
bat
Registered Member

I had a 2002 Hyundai Accent, and it was a VERY good and reliable car. I got an average of about 33 MPG.

Unfortunately, their warranties (at least for my car) do not transfer beyond the original owner.

IMO, Hyundais have a bad rap because they came into the American market as a cheap priced and cheap quality car. I think that Hyundai has improved their quality greatly, but the name still has a sting to it. Would you buy a Yugo?

bat is offline   Reply With Quote