Looking at a used truck tonight - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-06-2011, 03:40 AM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Re: Looking at a used truck tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
oh have a fire extingusiher nearby as you are near the gastank and charcoal canister that collects gas fumes (id be more worried about that thing haha)
Is there any better protection than waiting for fumes to explode and using a fire extinguisher?

Old 08-08-2011, 07:49 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Is there any better protection than waiting for fumes to explode and using a fire extinguisher?
drop the tank. I would already have to have the fuel pipe disconnectedi in order to remove the bed.

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #23
Registered Member

When welding on the tank, I've heard of people dumping dry ice into it to flush out the air. Don't know if it would get into the canister. Guess it depends on how everything is plumbed.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #24
Registered Member

id just remove the bed...yea the filler neck comes off the bed with like 3 screws, VS tryign to remove the rusty fuel lines, tank brackets, worryign about damaging the pump, etc

just gotta remove the filler neck screws, unplug the taillight harness and remove bed. (may have to do something about the charcoal canister depending on how its attached on that truck.)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:11 AM   #25
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

LOL I think you lost track of what this discussion is about...we're talking about removing the fuel tank for safety while welding the frame near it.

I have (and certainly would again) removed the bed to replace the fuel pump. Actually, without helpers, I didn't fully remove it, but I lifted it, put blocks under it, and shifted it until I had the access I needed. It was worth it.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:40 AM   #26
Registered Member

Fetch, if your frame is that bad, you should check your brakes. I'm doing my rear disc brakes and it's blown up into a huge project. Everything is rotted. I may have to take my axle apart to replace the backing plates (or at least take the hubs off to put in more expensive 2-piece backing plates).

https://picasaweb.google.com/fistula.../GMCRearBrakes
Old 08-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #27
Registered Member

The rear brakes were completed right before I got the truck. The drums look new, and I know the wheel cylinders are new. The brake pedal was spongey, so I bled the rears. I couldn't bleed the fronts due to the fact that the bleeder screws were completely rounded off. I discovered I could buy calipers for only $6 more than the screws after the core charge is factored in, so I replaced the front calipers and pads, then bled the fronts. I bled ALL the old fluid through the system, so it has all new fluid throughout. I then replaced the rotors and wheel bearing seals, and repacked the wheel bearings.

The brakes are plenty good now. Surprisingly, nothing on the brake system was rusted. It may have been replaced at some point.

Edit: Except for the emergency brake cable. I do need to get the emergency brake working at some point. The adjuster is pretty rusty, although the bolt is still in decent shape.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #28
Registered Member

if its anything like my s10's ebrake adjuster forget about adjusting it haha, sprayed for a week with PB blaster and liquid wrench with no go. tried heat after that with no go...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #29
Registered Member

Crap, I forgot to see if there are usable parts on what remains of the S10 in my yard. Anyway I did get the job done, it was tedious and difficult but I adjusted them in...hopefully they'll adjust out more easily when I put it all back together.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #30
Site Team / Moderator

Dad always took the adjuster completely apart and lubed it with white lithium grease before putting it back together & back in the car. Never had one get stuck on us. I eventually replaced the two on my Buick simply because the teeth on the adjuster had worn down.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote