Low Flow Shower head - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2007, 04:46 PM   #11
Registered Member

Hey all,

Conservation and low flow is my business. I'm a water management/water conservation consultant, and I help businesses save money through water and energy conservation. 2.5 gallons per minute is not low flow by any of today's true green standards. And low flow performance isn't what it used to be. I have 4 showerheads that range from 1 to 1.5 gallons per minute, but it feels like they're using more water than that.

For a 2 person household, the 1 gallon per minute showerhead used 16 minutes per day (avg 8 mins per person), with an average $6 per 1000 gallons combined water/sewer cost, and assuming 1 cent per gallon (depends on the fuel used, but 1 cent is a pretty conservative estimate) to heat the hot water from 50F to 120F will save about $140 per year in water/sewer and water heating costs. Even if you're on well water and a septic system and assume no cost for water and sewer (even though there are costs associated w/ a) the electricity used by a well pump and b) pumping your septic tank and with failed leach fields due to too much water flow into it), the savings in water heating costs alone are conservatively $87. The savings are obviously much greater with more members per household.

Anyone interested in these showerheads, contact me privately.

Steve

Old 06-13-2007, 08:27 PM   #12
Stay true to the Game!

Another way to save water is to catch the cold water in a bucket while warming up the shower water. You can use that water to water plants or flush the toilet. But only use that water when you go #1 or you'll have to use the whole bucket. Using this method and the cutoff showerhead has made my water consumption go from 3000 gallons a month to 2000 gallons.

popimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:04 PM   #13
Registered Member

I have a 1 gallon per minute head that you should try using so that they'll beg for the 2.5 gpm one back.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:04 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX View Post
Low Flow Shower Heads?!
LOL! I don't like the sounds of that! Anyway, water is cheap so I don't mind taking nice hot showers, watering the lawn, slip -n- slide with the kids, etc...
Old 06-18-2007, 06:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96hb View Post
LOL! I don't like the sounds of that! Anyway, water is cheap so I don't mind taking nice hot showers, watering the lawn, slip -n- slide with the kids, etc...
Agreed - water is my least expensive bill. If I were to pick one to work on, it'd be electricity in the summer and natural gas in the winter. After all, the whole reason I'm in this game is to save money!
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:12 AM   #16
Registered Member

Agreed. Where we live, the supply of drinking water is river fed and rarely an issue of concern. If we don't use it, it just flows further downstream. So our focus is on hot water conservation only. The yard and toilets get as much water as they need.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:42 AM   #17
Registered Member

I ended up taking the low-flow shower head out and putting the original back in. Too many complaints from others in the house.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:22 PM   #18
Registered Member

If you used one of the low flow showerheads I sell, I'll bet no one would complain. They include a 1.0, 1.25, and two different 1.5 gpm models.

Water conservation is as important as energy conservation....and both go hand in hand. It takes energy to heat, treat and pump water and to treat and pump waste. The less water we use, the less energy we use on the front and back end. And with global warming - I like to properly call it climatic mayhem - in the future, our weather patterns will be so inconsistent that conserving water will be critical to our existence.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #19
*shrug*

Sell me a shower head?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Sell me a shower head?
Which one Ben? My personal favorite (and I've tried them all) is still the 1.0 gpm model because of the combination of the great pressure, comfortable feeling spray, and insane water and water heating cost savings.

That said, everyone has their own preference.