My "new" car in waiting... a 1993 Mitsubishi Galant - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-26-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
Registered Member

My "new" car in waiting... a 1993 Mitsubishi Galant

My dad runs the power routes around here and so he's constantly driving through neighborhoods off the beaten path. Just so happens he found this Mitsubishi Galant on the side of the road with grass grown up around it. He went in and asked the lady if she wanted it, and she said no... so we have a free car!

Only a couple of things wrong with it. First, it needs a new head gasket, and secondly it needs a new back window. But for free I guess we I can afford to help him fix it back up. It has a sunroof, cruise, power windows, and a lot of other amenities... best of all it gets better MPG than my V6 Eagle Vision and has only 66,000 miles on it. Anyone else here had one? Any comments or opinions on Mitsubishi in general? I've never had one before.

atomicradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
Supporting Member

my brother had a galant not sure on the year maybe 99ish but it ran like a champ and was pretty fast. not sure on the fe tho. good luck with the head gasket thats prolly why it hasent been fixed yet

Old 05-27-2007, 05:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

I almost bought one when I got out of college but went with a 626 instead. Great find! Congratulations! Best of luck with it.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:43 AM   #4

You may have uncovered a sleeper ! It should have the 4G63 engine and parts are definitely available . The back window just may be the deal breaker - its going to be a salvage yard only part . Around my area any car older than 6-7 years is crushed . There *supposedly* isn't any demand for older car parts !?? Best of luck reviving Ol Mits !
MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:59 AM   #5
Registered Member

Gloomy gus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnFocus View Post
You may have uncovered a sleeper ! It should have the 4G63 engine and parts are definitely available . The back window just may be the deal breaker - its going to be a salvage yard only part . Around my area any car older than 6-7 years is crushed . There *supposedly* isn't any demand for older car parts !?? Best of luck reviving Ol Mits !
I've seen some early 90's Galants do well at Rally -- takes a beating. My '03 Evo was a piece, though (engine was fine, everything else stunk -- especially the transmission) -- the 98-06 range is when Mits had some big money problems. Lately they've been a bit better after they've broken away from the dedicated DSM relationship (still some engine sharing). But the early 90's were the good years.

But a free one beats all! Have fun working with it -- should prove to be a good ride.

RH77
Old 05-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #6
Registered Member

lets hope just the headgasket failed. if the heads cracked well. that would be a costly repair (and a new head if you can find one, if it is try like advace autoparts. they sell heads blocks, fully rebuilt engines, etc)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:05 PM   #7

I've owned a few Mitsubishis and grew up around them during th egas crunch of the 70's - dad worked for MOPAR and got my mom a Dodge Colt that she loved dearly, green with wood stickers...a wagon. When the crunch was over it was traded for a shiny new Cadillac . I think they're great cars all around. Not on the same level of greatness as most Toyotas or Honda but I'd line one up against a Nissan or Suzuki anyday. Of course that is only my opinion and otehr may vary.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:53 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
lets hope just the headgasket failed. if the heads cracked well. that would be a costly repair (and a new head if you can find one, if it is try like advace autoparts. they sell heads blocks, fully rebuilt engines, etc)
Well for now the engine will crank up and run, but it's a rough go and it's only running on 3 cylinders. I took it down the road a little ways, it shifted fine up to 4th gear and didn't run hot.

I'm not sure what that means (I'm the only one in my family who doesnt know anything about mechanic work) but it sounds better than we had initially thought.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:39 PM   #9
Registered Member

lol u can have a cracked head and it will run but very crapplily. and i wouldnt be driving it untill you get it fixed, oil and coolant dont go good. especially when the coolant thins the oil so much that its liek water and your engine seizes from no lubrication. ive seen it happen and its not pretty.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:54 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
lol u can have a cracked head and it will run but very crapplily. and i wouldnt be driving it untill you get it fixed, oil and coolant dont go good. especially when the coolant thins the oil so much that its liek water and your engine seizes from no lubrication. ive seen it happen and its not pretty.
The oil and coolant weren't mixing. I'm not driving it around either. I'm keeping to my Eagle and Metro for now. I only drove it once for half a mile or so.

When we got it, they told us it had the head gasket problem. My dad thought it needed a valve job because it wasn't running hot, but who knows. We're going to have it worked on by someone who we know will do it at a good price, so only a few hundred bucks in this car at the most.

Again, I know nothing about mechanics, so no need to 'lol' at me... heh. Maybe one day when I finish learning all the trivial garbage the school system and colleges teach I will have enough time to learn something applicable to real life.