My Tundra Got Klunky - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2009, 05:46 AM   #11
Registered Member

get a big buddy to jump around in the bed while you are under it.

it's always good to have a big buddy

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #12
Registered Member

that's all fine. just do NOT attempt to lean or get under the vehicle(someone else driving) while in motion.

someone actually did this trying to self diagnose a strange noise a few years back. let's just say if he did find out what it was he wasn't able to tell anyone. RIP.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:34 AM   #13

This probably doesn't affect you, but there is a cluck that affects over a decade of S-10s and Sonomas. Bad bolt and washer on the hood hinge. Factory recall. Just takes a lock washer and the cluck goes away.

It doesn't take much to be annoying, but that clunk could be anything between 2 metal surfaces. Don't rule anything out, or anything in. If it's so random than you can't use a known pothole to recreate it while driving, its most likely not a suspension part.

The light clunk could be your transmission if it only happens from a dead stop. First gear engagement from within. Jack the truck up, lightly set the e-brake (for resistance) and drive. If the clunk is there, drivetrain. If not, suspension or something else loose.

If you're not stepping on it I highly doubt a bad motor mount. its possible, but every vehicle I've owned requires/required flexing the muscle to damage mounts. I can't imagine your Tundra is that big a POS that it flexes with hypermiling techniques.

If you can remember what you were doing--ie speed, gear, throttle, direction, location--and mimic that and not get the same results, you have a POS. If that's the case I would trade it in.
almightybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:54 PM   #14
Registered Member

it was a POS when it left the factory along with all the other toyota trucks LOL.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:40 AM   #15
Registered Member

although its not overly common, its been reported that sometimes the fenders can actually come loose in some areas and start flapping at higher speeds. left to fester this can cause MAJOR body damage. just something to check
Old 02-20-2009, 07:18 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Have you yanked your spark plugs to see if it's maybe just one or two cylinders doing it?