Need SUV size +towing ability +mpg for cheap? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
So I was just leafing through my 1980 Buick Lesabre's manual, and it's rated to tow up to 6000 pounds. That's a damn lot for a 3500 pound car!

Old 05-02-2008, 02:16 PM   #12
Registered Member

Yup older full frame cars got high tow ratings... then a few people jacknifed or rolled their overloaded uhaul trailers driving at 80mph and decided it must be the car companies fault... lawyers got involved... and they don't rate anything worth crap any more. Marvin could probably tow 5000lb, but it ain't legal. Most midsize cars could handle 2000lb rather than 1000. Europeans won't bat an eyelid about towing a 18ft travel trailer with something that would be a compact here and probably has a 1.6-2.0 motor making 90-120HP

Just looked one up, the Vauxhall Vectra is rated for 3500lb in the UK, sold as a very similar model the Saturn L series over here it was rated for 1000lb

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:11 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Considering that you probably drive every day but tow the camper no more than a few times per month, does it make sense to have a DD that can also tow the trailer? Why not have a tow beast? Or, OTOH, why not have an ultra-efficient car for undemanding trips where it's appropriate?
The extra insurance cost of a second vehicle could end up wiping out any fuel savings. Plus, sitting isn't good for vehicles. Mandy's caliper pins started sticking while she sat. Just replaced the resulting warped rotors.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:20 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
The extra insurance cost of a second vehicle could end up wiping out any fuel savings. Plus, sitting isn't good for vehicles. Mandy's caliper pins started sticking while she sat. Just replaced the resulting warped rotors.
Ah, that makes sense. I have a truck and a car, but the math works out better for me, probably due to different variables. I do drive the truck at least once a week.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:29 AM   #15

Volvo turbo wagon, any model, any year.
dieselbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:30 AM   #16
Registered Member

Yeah, thats the rub, if I'm gonna have something I need to drive it. I've seen rust just eat a standing car far quicker than if it were driven. I got issues with marvin standing a couple of months. I'm expecting issues getting Wile-E moving. Would cost me ~$1000 a year to have an idle vehicle, and it would still need oil changes, brakes would probably wear as fast due to rusting...

Insurance here is ridiculous, need to start having an accident a month to get my money's worth It's a high rated area, because tourists have a lot of fender benders in packed holiday traffic and leave expensive crap in their cars in high risk parking lots....
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:13 PM   #17
Registered Member

OR how often do u camp? is ti somehting you could RENT a suv or the like?
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #18
Registered Member

Considered an early-mid 90's Buick Roadmaster/Cadillac Fleetwood/Olds Vista Cruiser/Chevy Caprice? Full-framer V8 cars, I've heard they can pull mid-20's on the highway unladen, especially if equipped with the LT/1 small block, basically the cop-spec V8, with port injection and roller cam. On the same token, a Ford Crown Vic,
Mercury Grand Marquis or Lincoln Town Car should do similar. If you're looking for new, maybe look into a Tahoe hybrid? None of these really beat the minivan, though. Methinks you're in for a long look...
'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Considered an early-mid 90's Buick Roadmaster/Cadillac Fleetwood/Olds Vista Cruiser/Chevy Caprice?
1994 Roadmaster in great condition:
http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=149785