New Job - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-14-2006, 04:22 AM   #1

New Job

Well after some turmoil, I have finally decided to take a new job.

I've been working for SaluMedica for over three years now, and thoroughly enjoy my job. I get to experience both manufacturing and R&D work as an engineer here, and designing joint components for the human is very interesting, but it's not exactly where I want to be. A few other things have led to this decision as well - SaluMedica is a venture capitalist funded startup company - zero job security as funding could dry up anytime. Also, benefits are substandard as well as pay.

I have had two companies interested in me in the past month - Toto USA and Chromalloy. Toto made me an offer as a development engineer about 10 days ago. I nearly took the job, then Chromalloy came through and made an offer yesterday to be a repair development project engineer, and I've decided to take the position there.

Toto makes all sorts of plubming fixtures and ceramics. The project I would have been working on is the washlet line - pretty much a fancy compact bidet. Interesting work (electromechanical).

Chromalloy repairs, designs, and manufactures compressor components for high-bypass jet engines. Way cooler job. Not to mention they're only 7 miles from my house.

I start my new job on Monday. Very excited!

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:57 AM   #2
Registered Member

Hey, congrats!

I think it's great when people can get jobs close to home (or get a home close to work).

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:34 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Hummmmm compressors huh . . . one of my friends on the Cape is a retired engineer that used to build the washing machines for cleaning the jet engine turbine bearings. Saw the outer race for a 747 turbine that he has - man was that big!

I wonder if a compressor turbine setup could power an alternator if supplied with some air flow...
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:36 AM   #4
Driving on E

Congrats!
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:12 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
How exactly did you find these sorts of companies? Small companies are exactly the type I want to work for, but I haven't had very good luck finding them. The number of potential places of employment that can be considered part of that category which I've found I could count on my hand, but I'm sure such small companies must exist in much larger numbers.

I want to find me a place to work right out of college if possible, but working for companies such as GE, Raytheon, Ameren, or Boeing does not interest me in the least.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:25 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
don't forget that when you work for compenies that do fun things like build jet engines, that you should slowly steel parts, so after a few years you have one of your very own, in my mind a small amount of embezlement should be written in to all emplyment contracts.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter
How exactly did you find these sorts of companies? Small companies are exactly the type I want to work for, but I haven't had very good luck finding them. The number of potential places of employment that can be considered part of that category which I've found I could count on my hand, but I'm sure such small companies must exist in much larger numbers.

I want to find me a place to work right out of college if possible, but working for companies such as GE, Raytheon, Ameren, or Boeing does not interest me in the least.
I've had my resume on Monster and AJCjobs (a local website) since August. I have had probably 2-3 recruiters call me for different jobs each week. Most of the time, they just want to chat for about 5 minutes and and get you to send them an updated resume. In the past four months, only two calls have materialized into actual interviews. Both companies who I interviewed with made me an offer, and I just feel like I got so lucky with Chromalloy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland
don't forget that when you work for compenies that do fun things like build jet engines, that you should slowly steel parts, so after a few years you have one of your very own, in my mind a small amount of embezlement should be written in to all emplyment contracts.
The problem with this is that nearly all of the components I'll be working with belong to a customer and not the company. One could argue that I might be able to take home some scrap, but the problem with this is that all of the parts they work on are some kind of exotic alloy (inconel, titanium, hastelloy, etc) and a small part weighing only about 5 pounds can cost around $40,000, which I'm sure they'd miss.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:48 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
This is work on an entirely different level and sticky fingers are not a good idea at all. The only job where you can get away with stealing is government and usually only the politicians.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
This is work on an entirely different level and sticky fingers are not a good idea at all. The only job where you can get away with stealing is government and usually only the politicians.
Totally agree.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:02 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
Totally agree.
Baah, at my old job i once stole a bag of cookies, they were old, and we were supposed to throw them in the garbage anyways, but I was a rebel and placed them on the break table! I really "Stuck it to the man"

The next day the cookies were gone. I was so distressed I revolted agaisnt this opression by going through the entire store and pulling all of the outdated foods off the shelf. I had 1.5 grocery carts full of rather expensive out dated food at the end of the day. This translates to over $100 of product, and with our ridiculous markups, probobly that much profit.

Congrat's on the new job!