Off the grid(s) - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2007, 04:59 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazabi Owner View Post
I want solar panels after the composting toilets which will be after the concrete dome home which will be after the cob art studio; I can go on and on... As far as solar panels, I'm still waiting for prices to go down and technology to go up. We are getting real close

"They" have been saying that PVs (solar electric panels) would be getting cheaper for the last 25 years. The prices did go down for awhile, reflecting improving technology and efficiency of manufacturing, but demand has been driving the prices up for the last 3 or 4 years. Composting toilets are great, build your own. Concrete dome homes have lots of wasted space, unless you are going to use it as a greenhouse to grow trees. Buy some PV panels and start using them if/when they get cheaper, get more.

We had a severe thunderstorm last night, power has been off since 11 or midnite, neighborhood is dark, but we have power, thanks to our PVs, windgenerator, and large bank of batteries. Probably a couple of day's worth of power, assuming there is no sun or wind to recharge them. We used to be off grid at a previous home, but moved to a grid tied place in town, on a large lot, left the grid connection in place as it is a nice back up power source.

WisJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:31 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
ffvben -

You mean Carter installed Solar Panels and Reagan tore them down.

If we'd had another 4 years of Carter, it's a good guess that we'd be in much better shape energy-wise.

And the winter sweater market would be going like gang-busters !

CarloSW2
thx for the info, to much info on both those movies, glad i have a week to watch before returning.

ffvben is offline   Reply With Quote