Peakster's Geo Thread - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2007, 08:44 PM   #41
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
Glad you're ok Peakster. Thats insane that it just broke like that. Any sloppy steering or odd feelings prior?

Old 04-21-2007, 09:29 PM   #42
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Any sloppy steering or odd feelings prior?
Not really, but then again the car makes squeaks and rattles everywhere because it's now @ 258K+. I think what may have set it off were the nasty potholes on the gravel road surface: A hole might have shocked the front tires to steer in a direction that the steering knuckle didn't like and thus it busted.

The good thing is that I can still use my 55.3 mpg, 4.3 gallons to empty for the upcoming weekly F.E.T.C update.

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:37 PM   #43
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
The good thing is that I can still use my 55.3 mpg, 4.3 gallons to empty for the upcoming weekly F.E.T.C update.
lol, thats the way to go!
Old 04-22-2007, 04:05 AM   #44
Registered Member

Yes, very lucky!

I've never heard of that happening before.

A bad weekend for Suzuki-clones - brake failure in the ForkenSwift and total steering loss in Peakster's.

(Sparks a wave of panic selling...)
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:54 AM   #45
*shrug*

Sorry about the geo, that really sucks. Hopefully you'll get it up and going soon!
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:02 AM   #46
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
(Sparks a wave of panic selling...)
Lol! My dad gave me this whole spiel about "You're car is getting worn out and it's falling apart" and "Maybe it's time fo you to get a real car". It happens any time a car of mine breaks down though. It was insane with the Fiero. I mean a coolant hose could come apart and everyone would be like: "OMG! It's a lemon!"
Old 04-22-2007, 10:40 AM   #47
Registered Member

Well, if he wants to chip in on a used Insight or Smart car, don't be too quick to argue with him ...
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:30 PM   #48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
Lol! My dad gave me this whole spiel about "You're car is getting worn out and it's falling apart" and "Maybe it's time fo you to get a real car". It happens any time a car of mine breaks down though. It was insane with the Fiero. I mean a coolant hose could come apart and everyone would be like: "OMG! It's a lemon!"
People tell me the same about my car, but then I'm just forced to remind them that I have done no maintenance to it at all really. I think that alot of people just have this negative view of old cars. I can't help but wonder how much it has to do with our consumer culture though. The fact that we're always being bombarded with the "new is better" message probably doesn't help much. The two best cars I've ever owned were cars that people wouldn't even expect to run (the Green Machine and my old Tercel).
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:44 PM   #49
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete86 View Post
I think that alot of people just have this negative view of old cars. I can't help but wonder how much it has to do with our consumer culture though. The fact that we're always being bombarded with the "new is better" message probably doesn't help much.
I think most North Americans just don't like paying for car repairs. A recent poll at gasbuddy.com indicates that the vast majority of people don't hang onto a car longer than 10 years.

Personally, I'd much rather spend $1000 a year on car repairs than $4,000+ a year in finance payments for a newer car. Then you add the higher insurance premiums and fact that very few cars out there get better MPG than the Geo: it just makes sense to keep almost any old car than spend a whack of money to buy a newer one.

One thing is for sure: Cars are expensive ! The Geo is coming around $6,000 invested and I only bought it 8 months ago!
Old 04-22-2007, 01:58 PM   #50
Registered Member

Wow. That sucks that you've spent that much already in the last year on your Geo. I got off really lucky with my Honda. Apart from insurance, gas, and oil changes, I've spent almost nothing on it.

repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote