Peakster's Gloria Thread - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-26-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cool Peakster's Gloria Thread

With my hot air ballooning summer job coming to a close (thankfully), I thought this would be a good time to formally introduce my newest vehicular addition: Gloria!

Attachment 867

I was browsing through the local online classifieds and found her for sale for $250. I phoned up the owner, asked if the car was drivable and plateable, and took her for a test drive. My thinking was that if it didn't explode after I drove it for 45 minutes, I'd buy it. Took her home for $200.

Attachment 868

Finally, I have a cheap car where I can throw caution to the wind and modify all I want for fuel economy purposes (I didn't want to fool with my Geo as it's still in good shape). I thought the 2.3L engine, it's 0.36 Cd, and 5 speed manual would be a good base to work with. Gloria needs a few things before I trust to go too far with her. I've been P&Ging with her since purchase. I intend to keep you posted!
Attached Images

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OdieTurbo
Yay! Nice pretty, cheap, new-ish to you car!

Old 08-26-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
Supporting Member

It will be cool to see all the mods you will do to it!
Old 08-26-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to unstable bob
Thumbs up

Wow, the last car I got for 200 bux didn't look anything as good as that! Good luck with your travels.

www.unstablebobgable.com

1973 AMC AMX: The beauty
1987 Buick T-Type: The beast
2004 Cavalier: The MPG machine
unstable bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:29 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
FINALLY another Tempo/Topaz owner! Very presentable car for $200. I figgered you named it Gloria because it's obviously such a glorious machine... right?
Yeah, glorious for sure . The name Gloria just seemed to fit the car real well and Laura Branigan's Song "Gloria" was one of the first I heard on the Tempo's radio.

Quote:
I can hardly wait to see what FE YOU get out of her!
Me too. For the first little while I'm going to take my MPG as a grain of salt since the gas gauge seems a bit wonkey (it only read 2/3rds of a tank when I first filled up) but eventually the law of averages will show its true colours.

Quote:
Off the top of my head, I don't recall if '88s had throttle body or multi point EFI. I think it's MEFI but it still is a different system than the '92s. My only experience is with the U.S. '84s with emission carbs (hateful damned things when they aren't working right) and the '92s with MEFI (my experience is this is a very reliable system). I understand early Canadian T/Ts had regular carbs and ignitions- probably a better idea.
You're right. according to www.tempotopaz.com, Canadian T/T's had carbuerators up until 1987. I'm pretty certain that the 1988 models and up had multi-point fuel injection.

Quote:
I have found T/Ts to be quite comfortable; in particular the seats fit me perfectly and the ride quality and handling is very good although 50 psi tires along with new struts and my 15% stiffer springs and reduced suspension travel in compression allow a bit of harshness. Even so the ride is more luxurious than a Metro for sure. Someday I'll have good tires on the Topaz and will air them up to 50 and keep the old, soft struts and see how that works. Some T/Ts experience sagging rear springs for some reason. My Tempo did not but the Spaz is a bit saggy in the rear. I intend to lower the Spaz too but due to its' sagginess I will adjust my spring cutting accordingly.
Gloria is definitely suffering from the sagging rear end syndrome. It's really not bad until she hits a speed bump though. Maybe I'll lower the front end to compensate for the rear. Overall, even in its current state, it's a very nice car and I can see how they were so popular when they were brand new. 0.36 Cd in the Tempo is much better than the 0.40 for an early 90s Cavalier (and I think the Dodge Shadow was the same 0.40 If I recall correctly).

One thing is for sure: my Geo struggles to do 65mph in the wind, but the Tempo just loves it. I've tried to do the same 50mph I did in the Geo with Gloria, but it's just too easy for her!

Edit: I just removed Gloria's passenger side front seat today. Man alive that thing was heavy!

Attachment 875Attachment 884

There used to be a great weight reduction thread here on GS (complete with pictures), but I can't find it. Anyone know where it is?
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2007, 01:43 PM   #6
Registered Member

Weight Reduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
There used to be a great weight reduction thread here on GS (complete with pictures), but I can't find it. Anyone know where it is?
Ben has a good WR pictorial here
A decent discussion is here

BTW, great project! I like seeing those Tempos still on the road. A good friend had one forever -- pretty durable until it rusted out.

Keep us posted -- it looks like fun

-Rick
Old 08-27-2007, 03:26 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
When you get tires you can trust believe me if everything is working right you should be able to hit if not top 100 mph.
Got new tires today and tested the Tempo...

Reached just over 180km/h (112mph) going downhill. The car could've gone faster I'm sure but I think that's fast enough for a $200 car (and the fact the speedometer only reads to that speed). Amazingly the car was very much in control with very little vibration. Just tons of wind noise near the 'A' pillar and side mirrors.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:38 PM   #8
Registered Member

Nice tempo. My parents had one when I was very young.

It looks like you have some work to do to catch up to clencher.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:11 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
Reached just over 180km/h (112mph) .
The car may have had a fuel cut-off around 112 mph. I think that manufacturers were doing that kind of stuff by '88. So, don't be disappointed when you do all your aero mods and then still only get to 112. :-)
Old 08-28-2007, 07:07 AM   #10

Definitely look to grabbing a trip minder computer from an early 80's ford luxury car. (Tbird, cougar, grand marquis, LTD Crown Vic)

Wires right in if you have an EEC-IV, and gives you instant FE in both L/100km and MPG. Gives average for a trip, too. Real nice.

Wyldesoul is offline   Reply With Quote