rants - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-09-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

rants

I recall seeing a few posts where a certain "eastern" religion took a bit of a beating, seems they were removed fortunately.

I also see posts endorsing certain "western" religions.

Is that what this place is about? Wearing your supernatural beliefs (or lack thereof) on your sleeve? So that we can "tell the good from the bad"?

I tell you, the way cheap gas and SUV's are adored like a new age manifest destiny, and George saying things like "God is on our side", I think I have reason to be concerned, regardless of what you THINK I believe.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
Registered Member

If each coin I use to buy a new car says "In God We Trust" than I might as well use A LOT of them and get an SUV. That's what bush would like to see.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:29 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe View Post
Is that what this place is about? Wearing your supernatural beliefs (or lack thereof) on your sleeve? So that we can "tell the good from the bad"?
I don't think you can tell the "good" from the "bad" by what they put on their sleeve. Hopefully noone is trying to put any labels on anyone else... But, if one chooses to label himself, what can we do? And, has he harmed anyone else?
Old 08-10-2007, 08:58 AM   #4
Registered Member

I'm just going to add a rant to this instead of making a new post...

I stopped by a local ice cream making shop to get some wonderful ice cream yesterday. I think of the place as quite environmentally friendly even though they aren't doing anything crazy. It's a family run business that makes their own ice cream that's much healthier than anything else without crazy ingredients. But the problem I have with them is that a lot of people go there on the hot days, leave their cars running in the parking lot to keep the AC on while they eat ice cream inside for half an hour.

It's crazy to think that I shut my engine off for a 5 second stop, or even in slow traffic, but these people leave it on for 30 minutes. I almost started to open doors to turn them off. Or maybe crank the heat up in the car so they think the AC is broken and don't use it again
Old 08-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGuyAndy View Post
leave their cars running in the parking lot to keep the AC on while they eat ice cream inside for half an hour.
It's illegal in some states. I know it is here. Call the cops. I mean, they won't come, but maybe you will feel better. If it makes you feel better, that bothers me too.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:34 AM   #6
Registered Member

Actually.... there was a cop there. I guess he didn't care. Not sure if it's legal or not in NYS
Old 08-10-2007, 10:54 AM   #7
Registered Member

Next time you see that, take the keys and toss them on the roof of the building. They won't do it any more. Some people are just afraid to sweat even for an instant.
Telco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:40 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telco View Post
Next time you see that, take the keys and toss them on the roof of the building. They won't do it any more. Some people are just afraid to sweat even for an instant.
HAHA
I dont get on people for wanting to be comfortable. There is a price to pay though for certain comforts and luxuries. A/C costs money. I remember days when it was an optiona dn didnt come in all cars. My 93 Altima has NO A/C. I feel bad for the friend that I gave it to (sometimes).
But if you are willing to sacrifice the possible slight loss in power (if smaller car) and the extra money it costs in gas, then by all means, make yourself comfortable. I dont hate when I see cars with A/C cranked on high with shivering occupants. But leaving A/C on while in a store is a different story. Its a waste thats inconsiderate, inefficient and irresponsible. It costs money in gas. You should just shut car off and turn AC back on for one minute afterwards. You will be just as comfortable. Its inconsiderate to others as your waste of gas contributes to the economics of supply-and-demand that keeps the price of gas high. And its irresponsible to the environment, which may be the biggest crime in this scenario.
I have a friend who will open my box of cereal and proceed to attack its contents, sometimes finishing the box, to my dismay. I dont really get upset as I sometimes share the same disrespect for whatever he leaves unattended in the fridge. What upsets me is when he leaves half a bowl of cereal with milk to rot in a cerel bowl once he's had his full. I complain that its a waste and I could have enjoyed what he has thrown away. I hate waste. Id complain to the patrons in the ice cream shop or at least make some sort of comment. Just MAYBE, (I said MAYBE) someone will take what you say into consideration and rethink their actions.
Dang, another long rant... I gotta stop this
GasSavers_StanleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:11 PM   #9
ELF
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGuyAndy View Post
Actually.... there was a cop there. I guess he didn't care. Not sure if it's legal or not in NYS
Cops in my city leave there cars running summer and winter, when they are in the donut shop, some one told me it was policy so when they got a emergency call there car would be running and ready to go
Old 08-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
I don't think you can tell the "good" from the "bad" by what they put on their sleeve.
Then what purpose does it serve? I see people using Gods name when they sell stuff, when they make war (like Jesus "turn the other cheek" Christ had a change of heart and decided it was better to kill the non-believers), when they wish to increase their ranks and further divide the globe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Hopefully noone is trying to put any labels on anyone else... But, if one chooses to label himself, what can we do? And, has he harmed anyone else?
I don't know that not talking about it is the right answer. The damage is global in scope. If there is a God (however you define that) then we are all her children, if you start to assert more specifics about the unknowable then we have the basis for some really dumb-*** fights, as history has shown again and again.