Sharing Ways To Save Money - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-23-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
Registered Member

Sharing Ways To Save Money

This new-fangled technology that is usually so irritating because it allows people to be constantly gabbing on cell-phones and butt-face and tweedle-de-de and web sites and such, is that ......
a gem like this that can help someone find a place with good business practices and learn some tricks to save some money.

What follows is a post by a guy who shared his good fortune, so we could benefit. That is why I pass it along.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Home Depot saved me money???
That's what I keep asking myself...

I went out yesterday, after a week of searching, to purchase a new washer and dryer. GE, top loader Energystar compliant, agitatorless, stainless steel tubs, 4.3 cf washer (after new federal measurements) with 800rpm spin cycle and a 7.0 cf dryer.

We picked out exactly what we needed, and started the process of having them order it for us, then I asked them about a discount, since I was paying cash...and they told me they don't offer discounts like that. I began the normal negotiations for a discount, when I was reminded about something...I could buy Home Depot gift cards at the local grocery store, Giant Eagle, and receive fuel perk discounts, then use the gift cards to pay for the washer and dryer.

Off I go to Giant Eagle, to buy my gift cards. The perks that Giant Eagle gave me was a 10% food perk which is 10% off my next grocery purchase up to a $100 savings, as well as $4.00 off per gallon of gas, up to 30 gallons!!

I happily went back to Home Depot, who finally came up with a 5% cash discount for me after talking to the store manager, and completed the transaction.

I filled up my Lincoln for free on the way home, am going to use the grocery discount today, and will get the washer and dryer on Wednesday, delivered and installed for free.

I'll be writing a letter to Home Depot, explaining how their management team in this particular store saved me a decent amount of money...on top of the purchase price of the units I bought from them.

The way I look at it, with all the savings, I ended up saving just over $200 using their suggestion...that was on top of the already showing 20% off of the units since they are last years models! That would be almost $400 savings in all!

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Sharing Ways To Save Money

I could certainly go for that $4. off a gallon of gas.

#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
Registered Member

http://truthaboutmoneytv.com/
Thus proving that television can be beneficial.
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #4

I didn't use the ac even though all my neighbors felt the need. I opened a window.
Philip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
Registered Member

I don't even have a/c, thus removing whatever temptation there might have been.

I have a workable $300/mo budget, been doing it for years, yes I am a homeowner, vehicle owner, and have too many toys. But to have a budget like that usually doesn't involve buying big stuff, no matter if they throw you a bone. I did recently splurge on a new front door and screen door, but they were badly needed.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
Registered Member

clencher, if most consumers were like you and i, manufacturers would go out of business.

we own 4 vehicles(three 1997 and one 1986). my mortgage is less than $600(insurance and taxes included). i shave 2 times per week cleaning those expensive blades after every shave so one lasts me at least 6 months.

we only buy new clothes on birthdays and Christmas. i would rather frequent the good will and yard sales than give walmart anything but goods not regularly available used and/or less than retail price. outlet stores were used during Christmas.

we lately have been frequenting the "true" dollar stores(everything is still $1) and discount grocers--Aldi has gallon milk for $2 for example. i'll buy clearance items no matter the color or flaw if needed.

my wife often cooks for several days at once. we walk to the park rather than drive. coupons, coupons, coupons...
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
Registered Member

I just saved the cost of a new remote control for my almost new Vizio HD-TV.
To change channels required a dance of removing and replacing the batteries, tapping banging and, of course cussing.
Fed-up, I called the live-chat at Vizio and was told to to remove the batteries and then press each button.
That reset it and it works fine. Well, I'll be....

Low-Risk Option Trader
Old 04-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
Aldi has gallon milk for $2 for example. i'll buy clearance items no matter the color or flaw if needed.
Speaking of food prices-

My wife and I just bought a 2 year old Jersey milk cow with a young calf 2.5 weeks ago (no joke). Right now she gives us 1 quart a day while still nursing her calf. I grew up on a farm and I enjoy working with cattle but my wife is the one who does the milking. She is hoping to work the cow up to 2 quarts per day in the next month. The milk definitely tastes very rich. Our first trial batch of home made cheese is in process right now and should be ready to eat tomorrow. We have several acres of pasture so we don't have to feed the cow much grain.

We also get at least 1 dozen duck and chicken eggs per week. We can't eat them all so we end up giving many of them to our family members. We hatched 5 chicks a few weeks ago and they should be ready to butcher and go into the freezer this fall.

We also have 5 bee hives. We didn't get any honey last year (our first year having bees) since the weather was so dry last summer. But hopefully we'll get at least 3+ gallons this July.

Being cheap runs in our families. Here's a story from my side of the family- back in the 60's when my mom and dad were dating, my grandparents had just grilled some meat on a charcoal grill for a family cook out. As soon as the meat was done, my grandpa poured water on what was left of the charcoal briquettes and proceeded to collect the small chunks of half burned charcoal. When my dad asked what he was doing, he said he would lay them out to dry, store them and then burn them up the rest of the way the next time they grilled....
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:47 AM   #9
Registered Member

I use one ply toilet paper.
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:54 AM   #10

Here's how to save money
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGzkQAIHTTY

dieselbenz is offline   Reply With Quote